Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: Critical race theory

  1. #21
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,515
    It's so easy to put together a straw man, label it "Critical Race Theory", and then let loose.

    Fnord.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    5,459
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    why was he chosen as a subject?
    I don't know; she brought it up and asked me if I knew who Harvey Milk was and I said to my son, "not the Harvey Milk " and he said, "Yeah," and I said, "Yes, I had heard of him," and started talking about the sewing project I had brought to show her, since I really didn't want to go there, I was so shocked that they were telling these babies about someone being murdered, and worse, a hero being murdered. It was the violence that shocked me; these are really young children and back when I was a child, or raising children, you tried to protect them against certain things.

    I think talking to children about brutal violence against others is really terrifying, and not an appropriate subject for kindergarten.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    11,337
    Totally agree Tybee that kids need to be kids and that’s too young for them.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I don't know; she brought it up and asked me if I knew who Harvey Milk was and I said to my son, "not the Harvey Milk " and he said, "Yeah," and I said, "Yes, I had heard of him," and started talking about the sewing project I had brought to show her, since I really didn't want to go there, I was so shocked that they were telling these babies about someone being murdered, and worse, a hero being murdered. It was the violence that shocked me; these are really young children and back when I was a child, or raising children, you tried to protect them against certain things.

    I think talking to children about brutal violence against others is really terrifying, and not an appropriate subject for kindergarten.
    I had the same thought. They need trigger warnings to protect college students from “Hamlet”, but this is OK?

  5. #25
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,515
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I had the same thought. They need trigger warnings to protect college students from “Hamlet”, but this is OK?
    I was watching some new zombie series on Netflix the other night, and many of the episodes have trigger warnings on the initial title cards. We're not talking a sensitive Disney zombie series either, but a pretty kinetic and violent show, I suspect anyone watching it knows what they are getting into.

    Also, one of the characters drank some whiskey in one episode...

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,714
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I was watching some new zombie series on Netflix the other night, and many of the episodes have trigger warnings on the initial title cards. We're not talking a sensitive Disney zombie series either, but a pretty kinetic and violent show, I suspect anyone watching it knows what they are getting into.

    Also, one of the characters drank some whiskey in one episode...
    I’ve seen warnings about smoking along with the sex and violence stuff. Brace yourselves kids, they smoke in “Casablanca”.

  7. #27
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    19,240
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’ve seen warnings about smoking along with the sex and violence stuff. Brace yourselves kids, they smoke in “Casablanca”.
    Smoking may be back in Vogue in tv.

    the recent “Mare of Eastown” with Kate Winslet, a tv production getting lots of buzz, has many characters who smoked.

    I think all that smoking was to signal the working class environment it portrayed.

  8. #28
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6,926
    Quick survey. How old was everyone when you learned that Abe Lincoln or Martin Luther king Jr. had been murdered?

  9. #29
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6,926
    Second quick survey. At what age do kids these days have to do active shooter drills in school so that they will hopefully not die for someone’s second amendment freedoms?

  10. #30
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,515
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Quick survey. How old was everyone when you learned that Abe Lincoln or Martin Luther king Jr. had been murdered?
    Well, I was ~5 years old when MLK was killed, so there's that.

    I think I learned about Lincoln around the same time.

    I wasn't quite a year old when JFK was killed, so I don't remember that much, though certainly I heard about it a few years later. Malcolm X - I also don't remember the day he was killed, though again within a few years it came up.

    I didn't learn about the Japanese-American Internment until about middle school. Age-similar friends of mine from California who lived in a town that had had Japanese-American residents removed to the camps tell me they didn't learn until late high school/college.

    I think the nuns explained the whole "Jesus was killed" thing to me before the age of 6.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •