Page 218 of 238 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2373

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

  1. #2171
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,244
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Reason #793b: Project 2025.

    https://www.project2025.org/

    there is a LOT there. I just skimmed a few pages and I can see where you would like it at all.
    I am not a serious person.

  2. #2172
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,184
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I might substitute “annoying” for “devastating.” You are aware of hyperbole in political speak, right?
    and some actions have launched aspects of our country in the wrong direction.
    By my vocabulary, annoying and devastating differ by an order of magnitude or more, and would think that would be the accepted difference beyond just common exaggeration. I'm just wondering what examples of policies this particular version of conservativism deem so dire, like the country is in a spiral of near terminal decay due to left policies. And one reason I'm wondering is because the same degree of extreme policy disaster came up in a few recent discussions and just didn't get to that part of things.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

  3. #2173
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by cx3 View Post
    frugal-one, I know you were being sarcastic, so was I.
    Disclaimer: I've never been to Hawaii, don't know anyone who lives there. And I'm indifferent that 10 million was donated by these two.

    The fact remains that social media was not kind to Oprah and the Rock (don't know his real name).Why is this so? My meager understanding is that people are waking up by what they see going on. People from all races, economic classes, political affiliations, etc.This is way bigger than Republican vs Democrat.
    So what do you perceive to be going on?

  4. #2174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,276
    I have no problem with people donating cash for disaster recovery; but do they really need to show up in person to preen for the media and use up local resources that may be in short supply?

    I have no problem with political leaders expressing support for disaster victims; but do they really need to travel thousands of miles to talk about their kitchen fire?

    I get the impression that disasters and their victims often get used as backgrounds and props for public relations purposes. Are they serving as beacons of hope or parasites?

  5. #2175
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,037
    Elan Musk, ultra right wing nut, in the news a lot lately. Scary discussion about him on Maddow Monday. According to the information she was touting and guest speaker, it appears he is in cahoots with Putin and impeding Ukrainians. The US government is supposedly relying on him too much … SpaceX and other ways.

    https://www.nbc.com/the-rachel-maddow-show

  6. #2176
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,363
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Elan Musk, ultra right wing nut, in the news a lot lately. Scary discussion about him on Maddow Monday. According to the information she was touting and guest speaker, it appears he is in cahoots with Putin and impeding Ukrainians. The US government is supposedly relying on him too much … SpaceX and other ways.

    https://www.nbc.com/the-rachel-maddow-show
    When did it become "ultra right wing" to believe in free speech and being against war? Your link wouldn't take me to the Maddow show you watched but I read somewhere that she took him to task for just that recently so I'll assume I'm on the right track. Did she call him a traitor because he allows his Starlink system to keep Ukraine's civil infrastructure of schools, hospitals, etc., operating free of charge while not allowing its use in the war effort for fear of contributing to a new world war, or did she skip the former and go with the latter?

    It's interesting to me to see how the left is gradually re-shaping their world view. When they branded themselves as 'liberal' while espousing illiberal views it was amusing, but during their switch to 'progressive' I can only assume they chose that description because 'fascist' was already taken.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #2177
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,244
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I have no problem with people donating cash for disaster recovery; but do they really need to show up in person to preen for the media and use up local resources that may be in short supply?

    I have no problem with political leaders expressing support for disaster victims; but do they really need to travel thousands of miles to talk about their kitchen fire?

    I get the impression that disasters and their victims often get used as backgrounds and props for public relations purposes. Are they serving as beacons of hope or parasites?
    That was the queen of England’s dilemma with the mining tragedy at Aberfan, Wales. The TV series “the Crown” accurately portrayed the queen‘s dilemma. She thought if she visited the site of the tragedy, her visit would take resources and attention away from the people of the village who experienced that horrible mining accident. She did not visit there immediately, and later that was one of the regrets of her reign.
    I am not a serious person.

  8. #2178
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,717
    What the Starlink debacle in Ukraine shows is that privatizing of critical infrastructure is a bad idea. The US Military needs to build its own low earth orbit satellite network if such a thing is necessary for our defense and the assistance of our allies. Relying on a network owned by a man who has different goals than the US government clearly failed in this case.

  9. #2179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    When did it become "ultra right wing" to believe in free speech and being against war? Your link wouldn't take me to the Maddow show you watched but I read somewhere that she took him to task for just that recently so I'll assume I'm on the right track. Did she call him a traitor because he allows his Starlink system to keep Ukraine's civil infrastructure of schools, hospitals, etc., operating free of charge while not allowing its use in the war effort for fear of contributing to a new world war, or did she skip the former and go with the latter?

    It's interesting to me to see how the left is gradually re-shaping their world view. When they branded themselves as 'liberal' while espousing illiberal views it was amusing, but during their switch to 'progressive' I can only assume they chose that description because 'fascist' was already taken.
    Also, Musk is in direct contact with Putin himself... as he admits. Does that not sound strange that a US citizen should be talking directly Putin? It would behoove you to look up that show. I cannot do the explanation justice.

  10. #2180
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,363
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Also, Musk is in direct contact with Putin himself... as he admits. Does that not sound strange that a US citizen should be talking directly Putin? It would behoove you to look up that show. I cannot do the explanation justice.
    I consider Rachel Maddow to be a political propagandist who crafts her commentary to suit her audience demographics and doubt that it behooves anyone to seek it out. I prefer listening to people without a brand to sell.

    Last edited by Alan; 9-14-23 at 8:42pm.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 4 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •