Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: thwarts to intellectual freedom everywhere

https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/h...8hres894ih.pdf

This Resolution passed the US House by a huge majority. What does it really accomplish? It is just a position statement, right? The position that antisemitism is bad, that is what is says.

The news reporting source Al Jazeera calls it “dangerous” to free speech and while I think the resolution is unnecessary and Congress likes to look like it is “doing something” what does this really accomplish? Makes large donors happy?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/h...8hres894ih.pdf

This Resolution passed the US House by a huge majority. What does it really accomplish? It is just a position statement, right? The position that antisemitism is bad, that is waht is says.

The news reporting source Al Jazeera calls it “dangerous” to free speech and while I think the resolution is unnecessary and .congress likes to look like it is “doing something” what does this really accomplish? Maes large do ors happy?
    I agree...

Mostly it's just positioning. But I think #4 goes too far: "clearly and firmly states that anti-Zionism is antisemitism." I think there is too much ambiguity there to say that question is "clear." Naomi Klein wrote an interesting article calling Zionism "the false idol of Judaism". https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rk-gaza-israel. There's no doubt that a lot of anti-Zionists will also be antisemitic, but not all. The Anne Frank House takes the position that "although many Jews identify with Zionism, there are still many different points of view. That is reason enough not to mix up the words 'Jew', 'Israelis' and 'Zionists'"-- and so I don't think the #4 declaration should be codified in a House resolution.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

okay-----i tell you kids what----anybody tries ta "thwart" MY intellectuall freedom, is gonna get what they got coming to 'em!!! Yup. just fxxk around 'n find out! but yeah---hope that helps you some. thenkk mee.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree...

Mostly it's just positioning. But I think #4 goes too far: "clearly and firmly states that anti-Zionism is antisemitism." I think there is too much ambiguity there to say that question is "clear." Naomi Klein wrote an interesting article calling Zionism "the false idol of Judaism". https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rk-gaza-israel. There's no doubt that a lot of anti-Zionists will also be antisemitic, but not all. The Anne Frank House takes the position that "although many Jews identify with Zionism, there are still many different points of view. That is reason enough not to mix up the words 'Jew', 'Israelis' and 'Zionists'"-- and so I don't think the #4 declaration should be codified in a House resolution.
    yes, that #4 lept out at me too. I swear since last fall I looked up Zionism several times to see if they are wildly divergent definitions. They don’t seem to be.

I’ll look at the guardian article later

Hmmm, according to the
    nalomi .wolfe article, Zionism like most things is more complicated than “respect the rights of Jews to have a homeland and not be persecuted.”

But that said, I am still pretty much (not 100%) pro-Zion philosophy.

Thread Information