Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Would you fly now?

  1. #31
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,640
    I have not set foot in a plane for a number of years and what I hear of and read of flying these days I'm not missing much. However, like that old saying - hope springs eternal. I have been doing flight shopping for Phoenix to Medellin without flying to LAX to get a cheap(er) flight. Amazingly at the moment I have found BUSINESS CLASS R/T Phoenix to Medellin for $1,300 which strikes me as incredibly cheap. Only caveat is that it's on American Airlines and my reentry point to the US would be in Miami, which has a horrible rep as far as Customs/Immigration go.

    Point? I'm going to give this a chance anyway. Today I would fly - it might help though that I recently applied for and was approved for a travel oriented credit card from a large unnamed bank. This card comes with great travel insurance and from reviews I have read, it's non-problematic to file a legit claim. I really don't care to fly on American - it's not the name, it's the lousy service - but I looked into Avianca, LAX to Bogota to Medellin and their service/rep is even worse. At least if the flight is not cancelled we'll get two bags up to 70 lbs. each plus more room and less of a sardine can seat. And if the flight is cancelled, the travel insurance on this credit card will reimburse a night at an airport hotel though I forget what the max reimbursement is. Rob

  2. #32
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,228
    I haven’t started any of the tedious work to find a flight since my Riga trip is all in my imagination as yet, but I said to myself “money is no object “ yet I won’t pay ridiculously obscene prices of first class.

    My current view of luxury is that I fly into the city of demarcation, stay all night at an airport hotel, and take off next day at a leisurely late morning time to Europe. Likely in Business class. The stress of trying to line up connecting flights the same day is just too yuck.

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    16
    I purchased a flexible (allowing for changes or cancellations after purchase) tour to the Czech Republic this December to experience the Christmas Markets in Prague. See this: https://www.visitczechia.com/en-US/1...markets-prague for more information on Christmas Markets in Prague.

    I also booked a tour with a local guide to visit several markets and taste local Christmas food and drinks. A local guide can help you make the most of your stay in the Czech Republic by knowing the best times and dates to visit the Christmas Markets: https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/prague

  4. #34
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,228
    Quote Originally Posted by gmiller View Post
    I purchased a flexible (allowing for changes or cancellations after purchase) tour to the Czech Republic this December to experience the Christmas Markets in Prague. See this: https://www.visitczechia.com/en-US/1...markets-prague for more information on Christmas Markets in Prague.

    I also booked a tour with a local guide to visit several markets and taste local Christmas food and drinks. A local guide can help you make the most of your stay in the Czech Republic by knowing the best times and dates to visit the Christmas Markets: https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/prague

    Ooooooo! A Market in the old town Square would be wonderful! I love Prague.

    My friends in their 80s, went to one of the German Christmas markets just a couple years ago. Now I do not really want to go overseas to shop, but still there’s something about the phrase “Christmas market” as I envisioned it in an old European city that would be lovely.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-2-23 at 12:02pm.
    I am not a serious person.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7,408
    I know it's not hte same thing at all, Iris, but Chicago had a nice market if you wanted to drive there for a weekend:
    Traditional German Event | Christkindlmarket Chicago

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,455
    A friend here was telling me about the beautiful islands off Portugal but said the flights now require multiple stops or changes. Thinking about a major birthday trip next year to some place far away so I will have to get used to the idea of flying again which I hate.

  7. #37
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I know it's not hte same thing at all, Iris, but Chicago had a nice market if you wanted to drive there for a weekend:
    Traditional German Event | Christkindlmarket Chicago
    oh no, I wouldn’t drive to Chicago to go to a frigid Chicago outdoor shopping event. The attraction is Prague and cities like Prague.

    I’m on a new kick now starting this weekend. Since the place I really want to go is too close to Ukraine and all that mess, I’m thinking about a trip to southwest region of France and then going over to Barcelona. The one immigrant ancestor that I can locate from a long time ago was born in southwest France in 1635, so I’d like to go over there to see whatever sites were around at that time that he saw with his own eyes.
    I am not a serious person.

  8. #38
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    11,464
    Flying back to the UK shortly for "some time"(*). Luckily I can vaguely understand the language they speak there.

    I will be up on my latest vaccines, will have well-fitting masks, plenty of books and movies loaded onto my iPad, and good noise-cancelling headphones. So, basically like a normal day at work :-)

    (*) Daughter's Ph.D. award ceremony, some research work of my own with the physics folks there, and some house-hunting in the small villages near Cambridge.

  9. #39
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,572
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Flying back to the UK shortly for "some time"(*). Luckily I can vaguely understand the language they speak there.

    I will be up on my latest vaccines, will have well-fitting masks, plenty of books and movies loaded onto my iPad, and good noise-cancelling headphones. So, basically like a normal day at work :-)

    (*) Daughter's Ph.D. award ceremony, some research work of my own with the physics folks there, and some house-hunting in the small villages near Cambridge.
    Congratulations to you and your daughter! Have a great trip and happy house-hunting!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  10. #40
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,707
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Flying back to the UK shortly for "some time"(*). Luckily I can vaguely understand the language they speak there.

    I will be up on my latest vaccines, will have well-fitting masks, plenty of books and movies loaded onto my iPad, and good noise-cancelling headphones. So, basically like a normal day at work :-)

    (*) Daughter's Ph.D. award ceremony, some research work of my own with the physics folks there, and some house-hunting in the small villages near Cambridge.
    Hope it’s a good and productive trip. I’m also traveling tomorrow but just to my work team away day in Fort Worth. Not as exciting (or likely as productive) but it’ll give me a chance to wear SO’s cowboy boots…��

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •