Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy 4th of July!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am happy to celebrate this, the greatest country in the world.

As I reflect on the experiment that is the United States, I remember how many times in the past year Iíve been astonished at how our first amendment separates us from other countries. What I hear about compelled speech in western nations, arrests for free-speech in the UK, and etc. makes me grateful the First Amendment exists here.

I donít think the average American understands this fundamental difference between our country and other developed western nations.

And then there are the Supreme Courtís triple header actions last week verifying separation of powers, also a fundamental core of our constitution. Student loans canít be forgiven by the president because that is a congressional financial responsibility. Affirmative action is in fact discrimination. Compelled Speech by asking a web designer to represent the governmentís stance is illegal.

God bless America!
    I see also that a federal judge just enjoined federal agencies from coordinating censorship activities with social media platforms. It hasnít been a great couple of weeks for the exercise of arbitrary power.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It's not bogus from a compelled speech standpoint. I think it's being promoted as such because someone with the same name say's it wasn't him. If it involved a black web designer and a prospective client wanting a KKK themed website, we'd all just agree that there's no requirement that the designer participate, and I doubt anyone would arbitrarily assume the designer was not competent, although you certainly enjoy the right to say so.
    Except that the "web designer" hadn't received the fake email from the fake gay guy before she filed suit. The courts traditionally don't make judgements based on hypothetical wrongs, only on actual wrongs.

Graphic design is more important in this day and age.
    Have you seen the website that that "web designer" has? The idea that any gay couple would hire her to do their wedding website is laughable. Which is mostly why zero gay couples actually tried to hire her. That and the fact that she didn't actually have a web design business.

verifying separation of powers, also a fundamental core of our constitution.
    How is it separation of powers if the court decides that they alone have the ultimate power of deciding what the two other branches of government are allowed to do with no method of correcting their overreach? There are other, better, remedies if the legislative or executive branch overreaches besides the court overreach that occurred last week. In a civilized country those remedies are elections.

Now that we know that the "web designer" perjured herself in court filings I wonder if she will face any ramifications for that? I suppose probably not since the only perjury that seems to matter to republicans is lying about blowjobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Except that the "web designer" hadn't received the fake email from the fake gay guy before she filed suit. The courts traditionally don't make judgements based on hypothetical wrongs, only on actual wrongs.
    the AP says…
    Legal standing, or the right to bring a lawsuit, generally requires the person bringing the case to show that they have suffered some sort of harm. But pre-enforcement challenges — like the one Smith brought — are allowed in certain cases if the person can show they face a credible threat of prosecution or sanctions unless they conform to the law…”
    https://apnews.com/article/supreme-c...ad81eb59660130

There was credible threat of prosecution.

As for the documents being faked, if that’s the case that is bad. I do not take kindly to lying to the Supreme Court. But it may not be a lie, it has not been proven. Any misrepresentation of the validity of the document asking for a website would not invalidate the Supreme Court’s decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Have you seen the website that that "web designer" has? The idea that any gay couple would hire her to do their wedding website is laughable. Which is mostly why zero gay couples actually tried to hire her. That and the fact that she didn't actually have a web design business.
    It looks ok to me. What don’t you like about it?

It has lots of white space. That seems quite modern to me.
    https://303creative.com/about/

I had a very busy 4th of July with three families, 3 grandkids, and 2 dogs who came to witness the fireworks from our lawn. I've been stressed out for days now with all this entertaining.

This is a great day to celebrate independence. My favorite quintessential story about American freedom and bravery comes from David McCullough's book, 1776, when Henry Knox--a bookseller, I believe--gathered a bunch of men to walk--walk-- to Fort Ticonderoga in December, when Lake George was frozen, in order to secure artillery to defend against the British in Boston Harbor. They lost one cannon in Lake George, but stayed on the ice until they retrieved it. As a result of the unbelievable effort in securing ammunition, the British abandoned Boston and never came back.

As a "Daughter of the American Revolution" (not officially but my ancestors all came over on early boats) I applaud the bravery and resilience of the founders of this country, and I also hope that my ancestors never personally had anything to do with the genocide of the Native Americans.We have things to be grateful for and things to regret. I hope that we continue to live up to the Constitution's preamble: To work for the common defense and promote the general welfare.." for all Americans. While I am a proud and grateful American, I also pray that I do not become idolatrous of my national heritage. Nothing good can come of that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It looks ok to me. What don’t you like about it?

It has lots of white space. Thatcseens quite modern to me.
    https://303creative.com/about/
    I suppose if you like ten your old style it's fine if boring (and this coming from the gay guy who admittedly doesn't really have much of a sense of taste for design, so if I can see that it's dull it must be really really dull). More important to me though is that she doesn't make any mention of managing the whole wedding "process". Tying in to what I've mentioned in Tradd's thread about going paperless in the work section of this site, I'd want a wedding website vendor to manage invitations/RSVPs, gift registry and whether I've sent a thank you, etc. Her site doesn't mention any of that, so I can only assume she isn't capable of managing those complicated issues. A true wedding website vendor would have APIs that can tie the site in to Macy's/Amazon/whatever online vendor the happy couple is likely to have registered with.

I guess we'll know soon enough if she actually intended to create this business since she's now won her suit. Surely her business will now take off and she'll be able to share with the world her success at growing it. If two or three years from now she has still not made a single web site we'll know that she was just a faker in pursuit of justifying fake jesus hate against people she doesn't like.

Thread Information