Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - Dec. 4, 2023 - Feb. 29, 2024

After the last houseguest left, I took a little break from decluttering, but now I'm ready to be back at it. I put in 1.5 hours today. New total: 35.5.

Some of you may remember that when I started all these batches of 40 hours years ago (2016, I think!), I had 50 boxes of clutter in my upstairs hallway. All but 2 of those are gone now, but I have backslid a bit and now have about 4 in my dining room, and about 3 in another room upstairs. Today I spent 1.5 hours tackling the ones in the dining room. I think I've figured out one of the problems that led to the recent accumulation, so I am setting up a new system to prevent more backsliding. I realized I need a small file cabinet rather than file boxes. What happens with the boxes is I stack things on top of them when I can't file paper immediately and then I have to move the stack on top to file anything, so I just keep adding to the stack. If I have a file cabinet, it will be easier to file things as they come in even if there's a stack of paper on top of the cabinet. I think I'll also allow myself one "overflow" box beside the cabinet for the stack that sometimes accumulates when I don't have time to file right away.

New total: 37 hours.

EJ: I think it's very useful to have a place for things that are waiting to be filed. My filing cabinet is in the cellar, and I certainly don't run down there every time I have a piece of something that needs to be filed away. My "system" is in this small desk drawer. On the left is an old napkin holder, and those are items waiting to be filed. When it gets to be a bit tight, then filing must be done! In the front are receipts to be held for just a short time and discarded, like grocery and gas receipts. Those also tend to get weeded as space gets tight. It isn't anything fancy, but it works for me. I definitely think you are on the right track developing systems to stay organized; I think that gets to the root cause of the matter. Not pictured but also important parts of keeping the paper monster under control: I have a folder of items to be shredded like credit card offers and such, and I have a letter holder on my desk with items needing attention such as bills to be paid.

to be filed.jpg

ej and rosa, I too have had to find a way to control the "stack up until later" syndrome. On thing fly lady said that stuck with me was to clean an area to hold decluttered items...she cleared out a box under her bed so she could put cords and charges in there..what I did to keep my calendar visible on the computer desk and the dining room table clear, was to clear out an old stereo cabinet and use it for files waiting to be used.. I clear my workspace every night and put them neatly away...now I still need to get rid of things but I'm attending to "that pile" daily to be sure my calendar is visible. I love being able to clear both the dining room table and my computer desk top in 5 minutes AND have a place to put it!!!!

Thread Information