Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Getting a New Kitchen!

Our cabinets are supposed to be delivered "on or around" 2/14.
    We did go ahead and order new appliances yesterday. I know we may live to regret it, but after 20+ years, there is no guarantee the old ones have many years left in them either.

IL: It occurs to me that your DH might like my old refrigerator to join his collection, lol. If only we lived closer!

So the first major bump in the road: subfloor needed to be stripped down to the joists, allowing for an aerial view of our cellar and a layer of demolition grime over every single thing in our house. New sub-floor being laid and they will finish that up today.

subfloor 1.jpg

subfloor 2.jpg

Oh, bummer!! Well, I've seen enough HGTV shows to know that renos never go smoothly. Of course every show has to have the part where they find termite infestations or dangerous wiring that needs to be replaced or mold behind the drywall. I always wonder if those speed bumps are staged for dramatic effect.

I'm glad that this isn't holding you up too much! Kitchens are a horrible room to have to do without for any amount of time--how are you managing meals?
    Last edited by catherine; 2-9-24 at 10:18am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

“Layer of demolition grime [and plaster dust] over everything”

Welcome to my world!
    I am not a serious person.

Ugh! Glad you will be getting the new floor in sooner rather than later!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We ate out once this week, leftovers from that another night, grocery store sushi another. I'm missing one night that I cannot remember. We bought sandwich stuff for the weekend. We bought a small hotplate so we can at least make tea. We hadn't gone out to eat this year prior to this week, so we will feel OK about indulging a little bit to get through this.

Definitely indulge, rr! Going out to eat will not only get you food, but will get you away from the construction for at least a little while. Fingers-crossed that the rest goes smoothly and quickly.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Oh, bummer!! Well, I've seen enough HGTV shows to know that renos never go smoothly. Of course every show has to have the part where they find termite infestations or dangerous wiring that needs to be replaced or mold behind the drywall. I always wonder if those speed bumps are staged for dramatic effect.

I'm glad that this isn't holding you up too much! Kitchens are a horrible room to have to do without for any amount of time--how are you managing meals?
    there is always the unexpected in renovating old houses. I’m sure some of it on these TV shows was emphasized for drama. But it really happens.

Right now I’m watching my favorite designer, Laurel Berne, , tear into her old Boston house. She wants to put in a new doorway at ground level and they tore into a wall only to find there were an existing doorway that had not been bricked up. It was not shored up properly. Steel beams and etc. are now being installed, unexpected cost.
    I am not a serious person.

Happystuff: I will admit that I have been fleeing the house every morning at 7:30AM. The deal is that I hired the designer and contractor and more or less set all the pieces in place, and DH gets to "hold the fort" while destruction/construction is going on. I've spent most of this past week "detailing" my mom's house which hasn't had a really good deep clean in the longest time. I've pretty well gotten her whole first floor done this week, and I'm hoping to get the second floor done next week. I don't think her first floor has ever been so clean as it is now, which is kind of ironic given how grubby my own house currently is.

Thursday night the house was a disaster area, with large gaps in the floor where one could actually fall into the cellar or at least step into a potentially ankle-breaking hole. Coming home yesterday to the subfloor all completed and a pretty impressive cleanup effort from the work crew was a treat. There's all kinds of new wiring in place too.

Mushroom Factor #2 - bedroom radiator is now getting water hammers and leaking water (steam heat). Must be from the kitchen radiator being temporarily disconnected.

Thread Information