Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GOP Primaries

Yppej
    Emailed Binkley to see is he still running for president as he has no events scheduled. No response. Will see if Phillips is still around when we reach Super Tuesday. The Libertarians also have a primary with five candidates on the ballot in my state but it's a beauty contest as they pick their nominee at their convention and not based on primaries. Very depressing to have so few choices.

is anyone going to their local caucus?
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    is anyone going to their local caucus?
    I'd love to, but I live in an open primary state. Our primary is scheduled for March 19th but early voting begins tomorrow, I'd much rather participate in a caucus since everyone must participate on the same date. The way we do it seems haphazard and potentially exploitative.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'd love to, but I live in an open primary state. Our primary is scheduled for March 19th but early voting begins tomorrow, I'd much rather participate in a caucus since everyone must participate on the same date. The way we do it seems haphazard and potentially exploitative.
    DH plans to go to the caucus here and I think I’ll go with him. I will caucus for Nikki Haley.

But I’ve been to these caucuses before and I don’t know what to expect. We are going to a caucus at the county level. it seems odd to me that there’s only one caucus in this entire county? I don’t know, we shall see.

back in the day when I lived in Iowa our caucuses were held in your neighbors living room every few blocks. Then, if you were elected to go onwards to the next caucus, you went to the county that was a ton of people.

I grew up in a state that did caucuses at the time when I first became eligible to vote. But I was off at college when the caucuses happened. So of course I couldn’t participate. I suppose they are fine for upper middle class people that have flexible schedules like I do now as an aging guy with a professional job. For everyone else, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I grew up in a state that did caucuses at the time when I first became eligible to vote. But I was off at college when the caucuses happened. So of course I couldn’t participate. I suppose they are fine for upper middle class people that have flexible schedules like I do now as an aging guy with a professional job. For everyone else, not so much.
    All the caucuses I’ve ever attended have been at night or on Saturday.

All the caucuses I’ve ever attended have been at night or on Saturday.
    I suppose that's fine if you have a 9-5 day job. Or don't attend school out of state. For everyone else it means you don't get to participate. Which was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I suppose that's fine if you have a 9-5 day job. Or don't attend school out of state. For everyone else it means you don't get to participate. Which was exactly the point I was trying to make.
    That is all true! Participating fully in Democracy requires an investment in time.

Participating fully in Democracy requires an investment in time.
    Or a structure that doesn't favor some people's ability to participate over others by imposing timing constraints that do nothing to actually strengthen democracy but instead reduce democracy by reducing the number of people capable of participating.

A local news commentator floated the idea that the reason Haley is sticking it out in the primaries is that she is planning to run as a third party candidate. That seems unlikely, but does entertain the imagination with possibilities. It actually seems like Trump and his cult should be running as a third party, since he's not really GOP. Or at least what the GOP once was.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information