Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: The family matriarch is dying

  1. #21
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,264
    One of the nearby deaths to me this week was the social butterfly in our condo building. She was in her 80s. She charged around socializing, talking to people, going out to dinners and having people over. We had her as a guest at a dinner at the condo building last fall. I’m so glad we did, I’m so glad I didn’t just think about it, but I actually did it.

    I’m also grateful that her tiny dog, a Yorkie, died a few months before she did.

    apparently she just had a major heart attack alone in her condo. It was shocking for everyone, but that is not a bad way to go assuming it was a very fast heart attack.
    I am not a serious person.

  2. #22
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,597
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    One of the nearby deaths to me this week was the social butterfly in our condo building. She was in her 80s. She charged around socializing, talking to people, going out to dinners and having people over. We had her as a guest at a dinner at the condo building last fall. I’m so glad we did, I’m so glad I didn’t just think about it, but I actually did it.

    I’m also grateful that her tiny dog, a Yorkie, died a few months before she did.

    apparently she just had a major heart attack alone in her condo. It was shocking for everyone, but that is not a bad way to go assuming it was a very fast heart attack.
    So sorry about your friend, IL I agree that a quick heart attack is not a bad way to go. We expect some people to last forever, despite their age, so their passing is especially upsetting.

    Regarding doing the dinner without thinking about it--that's part of what I'm feeling these days. My default is to shy away from stuff (I get the feeling you're not like me in that regard), but lately I've been making a conscious effort to say "yes." In fact, I bought a book called "Hell Yeah or No" to encourage me to just jump in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  3. #23
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,264
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So sorry about your friend, IL I agree that a quick heart attack is not a bad way to go. We expect some people to last forever, despite their age, so their passing is especially upsetting.

    Regarding doing the dinner without thinking about it--that's part of what I'm feeling these days. My default is to shy away from stuff (I get the feeling you're not like me in that regard), but lately I've been making a conscious effort to say "yes." In fact, I bought a book called "Hell Yeah or No" to encourage me to just jump in.

    oh, I absolutely have not been socializing much the past year and a half. in fact, DH came home laughing a couple of nights ago after being with a group at a fish dinner. He saw his car club friends, some of his garden club friends, and others. It’s a small town so if you join a few clubs, you know everybody. Anyway—– he was laughing because they were telling him they were going to conduct a Welfare check on me because they hadn’t seen me in so long they were afraid I was buried in the backyard.

    But Sunday I drove into St. Louis for the daffodil Society meeting and amusingly there is a contingent of people from the Hermann area in Daffodils. So that group at least knows I’m not dead and buried.
    I am not a serious person.

  4. #24
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,597
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh, I absolutely have not been socializing much the past year and a half. in fact, DH came home laughing a couple of nights ago after being with a group at a fish dinner. He saw his car club friends, some of his garden club friends, and others. It’s a small town so if you join a few clubs, you know everybody. Anyway—– he was laughing because they were telling him they were going to conduct a Welfare check on me because they hadn’t seen me in so long they were afraid I was buried in the backyard.

    But Sunday I drove into St. Louis for the daffodil Society meeting and amusingly there is a contingent of people from the Hermann area in Daffodils. So that group at least knows I’m not dead and buried.
    I often think the people in the islands think the same of me--the mysterious woman that DH says he is married to!! He is a very active member of the church... usually couples attend church together, but I prefer to stay home. He also was invited to join the church Men's Club, which has nothing to do with religion or social service--it's basically a good ol' boys gossip club. After one Saturday morning Men's Club meeting he implored me to join the church choir. I asked, "Why would I do that??" He said, "Because the wives of all the men in the Men's Club sing in the choir." I certainly didn't see that as a reason I should join.

    I do hang with my Master Gardener friends once in a while. And my next door neighbors are great, because they are reclusive, too. So when DH invites them to dinner, they come but I know they'll be out the door in an hour. We understand each other.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •