Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What are you watching 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, I just meant people will tend to think of a man as the aggressor in any story about a college prof and student because most of the time, they are. Stereotypes but also statistically likely.

As for academic smugness, she has it in spades. She is convinced her new technology and new methods are superior to anything Derrick’s family has tried with him. She is delusional and as such, dangerous.

That woman is evil, and I don’t use that word lightly. Derrick’s family is wonderful. They love him, they have common sense and smarts and are not naive. His brother is outstanding.

The filmmakers made good effort to present both sides.It’s great Anna got so much camera time to tell her story in her own words. She hung herself yet she probably thinks the film told her story fairly.
    I thought the brother was wonderful, too. I think what got to me was the idea that his mind was intact but he was in this prison of illness--I think that's such a scary thought, and it made me think of my mom with her dementia. I agree she was delusional--and that she did not think she was delusional. I had to wonder about the other stories presented about FC. Like is it complete nonsense or did it actually work with some of the people they talked about?

I want to watch that Frontline documentary about it if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I thought the brother was wonderful, too. I think what got to me was the idea that his mind was intact but he was in this prison of illness--I think that's such a scary thought, and it made me think of my mom with her dementia. I agree she was delusional--and that she did not think she was delusional. I had to wonder about the other stories presented about FC. Like is it complete nonsense or did it actually work with some of the people they talked about?

I want to watch that Frontline documentary about it if I can find it.
    There has to be brain power in the person being tested with FC before it could remotely be considered an effective technology. Derek has extremely limited brain power, he has a profound disability. There is no “there” in there.

Besides, other more sophisticated technologies are available that do not require intervention by another human. The disabled person directly interacts with the technology.

There has to be brain power in the person being tested with FC before it could remotely be considered an effective technology. Derek has extremely limited brain power, he has a profound disability. There is no “there” in there.

Besides, other more sophisticated technologies are available that do not require intervention by another human. The disabled person directly interacts with the technology.
    I hear what you are saying, but wasn't the same said about Helen Keller when she was a little girl? I just wonder how they could be so sure there was "no there in there". Because John, the brother, is the one who suggested it, and he and the mother thought it was working. It wasn't until he saw the Frontline that he decided it was a fraudulent method.

Found a link to this and think it might be the Frontline? So I plan to watch it and see more about why they debunked FC as a fraud:

Prisoners of Silence : PBS Video. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I hear what you are saying, but wasn't the same said about Helen Keller when she was a little girl? I just wonder how they could be so sure there was "no there in there". Because John, the brother, is the one who suggested it, and he and the mother thought it was working. It wasn't until he saw the Frontline that he decided it was a fraudulent method.

Found a link to this and think it might be the Frontline? So I plan to watch it and see more about why they debunked FC as a fraud:

Prisoners of Silence : PBS Video. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    there are plenty of people with cerebral palsy and perfectly good brains, and can be identified as such because methodologies and techniques are better than 150 years ago with Helen Keller. Derek has been in schools and day programs and education all his life and somebody would’ve picked up on something there. It’s great that a teacher got him to walk, that’s a major accomplishment.

But you’re right that we will never really know what are his thoughts and feelings. He may be smarter than a 6 - 12 month old child but he’s not of average intelligence.

thanks for this link. I watched the this documentary which evidently was produced in 1992? Way back then? Or maybe a little later. The first serious study of FC came in ? 1993 and involved 180 sets of double blind tests with 0 success.

Facilitated communication has been the subject of debunking scientific studies for decades now.This article in The Orange is a recent summary:

https://dailyorange.com/2024/02/mixe...oogle_vignette

This looks like yet another disability con visited upon desperate parents. There are many of those past and ongoing.

As for the business of sexual assault by parents as charged in FC communications (this is covered in the Feontline documentary) my mind immediately went to the witch hunts of that time, the charges of child abuse in all of those daycares and the charges of child sex abuse by dark arts practitioners. That was the trend of the time.

Syracuse University’s involvement (tho now quite limited ) in FC just reminded me of Washington University’s department of pseudoscience called MacLab. It was completely funded by Sandy McDonnell of Mc
    donnell-Douglas Corop. and it set out to prove psychic energies and abilities. It existed for several years because there was money for it to exist, but no legitimate findings came out of that lab.

There are several kinds of communication aids for non verbal people, but this one is botus.

it is amazing to see still a few professionals in the field cling to this pseudoscience. There aren’t many of them, but there’s a few and I would imagine there’s some money involved with them.

The wisdom of Reddit has offered the idea that Anna Stubblefield fits the definition of “communal narcissist “and I have to say, this really explains her pathology.

The wisdom of Reddit has offered the idea that Anna Stubblefield fits the definition of “communal narcissist “and I have to say, this really explains her pathology.
    What does that mean?

here is what the Google tells us:

A communal narcissist is someone who has a grandiose view of themselves in a communal setting and derives a sense of self-worth from how they think others perceive their contributions. They may:

• Have inflated perceptions: Believe they are highly likable, helpful, and have great social skills
    • Over-exaggerate: Exaggerate their knowledge and aptitude for communal skills
    • Value important roles: Value having important roles in society
    • Feel validated: Feel immense validation from making a meaningful difference
    • Be friendly and kind: Try to be seen as trustworthy and supportive through friendliness and kindness
    • Only help for praise: Only help others and behave well to receive praise
    • Make others think: Make others think their actions are pure in intent when they are actually being performed for praise and admiration

more:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/com...arcissism.html

This is just Reddit wisdom which is worth what we pay for it.

okay----i was sitting here, just a moment ago, watching a video about the joys of Merc-O-matic trannies. They're (supposedly) smooth, erffortless, convenient. yup(see photo). but yeah---hope that helps you some. thankk mee.

Not for everyone, I'm sure, but I just watched, "Twelve Final Days," a documentary the days leading up to Roger Federer's last match in London and subsequent retirement from tennis. It was very emotional to watch, even though I'm not a rabid fan of his. I do admire what he's achieved, though, and it was a glimpse into his family life and tennis world. Lots of pertinent flashbacks and interviews with his main rivals. It is showing on Prime Video.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information