Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: I'm patriotic enough to hope for his financial ruin today.....

  1. #11
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,401
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Michael cohen testified to that a long time ago.
    I'm aware of that, but I'm not aware that any of those accusations were part of the lawsuit we're talking about. So, my question remains, since no banks or insurers mentioned in the current lawsuit have complained of losses and have actually told the court they were satisfied with the results of their prior dealings with the Trump organization, where does the $350 million, plus interest, go?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  2. #12
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm aware of that, but I'm not aware that any of those accusations were part of the lawsuit we're talking about. So, my question remains, since no banks or insurers mentioned in the current lawsuit have complained of losses, where does the $350 million, plus interest go?
    Just because this lawsuit was about other frauding doesn’t mean that the tax frauding didn’t happen.

    Either way we live in bizarro universe when the ‘law and order’ party is against ‘law and order’. But yet here we are. In a same world a dude with a. fraud judgement against him would be completely unelectable. But apparently trump’s fanbois hate America so much that they don’t care.

  3. #13
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,827
    But to answer your question I assume that NY state law makes it a civil crime to fraudulently overvalue assets and that the state can bring a civil suit regardless of whether those who were actually harmed choose to bring a suit. If trump didn’t like that law the appropriate response isn’t to break it, it’s to petition his elected officials to change the law.

  4. #14
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,401
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Just because this lawsuit was about other frauding doesn’t mean that the tax frauding didn’t happen.
    I'm still trying to understand this. If Trump has been found to have over valuated properties for loan purposes would that mean that any lower valuation for tax purposes may actually be correct, or are you saying that taxes should be assessed and paid based on the valuation the court has now found to be incorrect?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #15
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm still trying to understand this. If Trump has been found to have over valuated properties for loan purposes would that mean that any under valuation for tax purposes may actually be correct, or are you saying that taxes should be assessed and paid based on the valuation the court has now found to be incorrect?
    Being intentionally obtuse isn’t a good look. But whatever. NY law doesn’t care whether you understand it. And apparently trump doesn’t care what NY law requires of businessmen in the state. Although maybe he cares a bit more today than he did yesterday.

    By your logic the SEC shouldn’t be able to hold corporations accountable for fraudulent financial statements unless shareholders sued as a result of relying on them. Is that what you think should be the case?

  6. #16
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,401
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Being intentionally obtuse isn’t a good look.
    I think you mis-spelled curious.
    Is that what you think should be the case?
    I'm beginning to think that if some of the largest and most prestigious banks in the world have done their due diligence and say that they have not been damaged by their voluntary transactions with a customer, any lawsuits brought on their behalf may not actually have anything to do with the charges levied.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #17
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think you mis-spelled curious.

    I'm beginning to think that if some of the largest and most prestigious banks in the world have done their due diligence and say that they have not been damaged by their voluntary transactions with a customer, any lawsuits brought on their behalf may not actually have anything to do with the charges levied.
    But if they did their ‘due diligence’ based on fraudulent info did they really do their due diligence? Or did they get scammed and have chosen not to pursue it for some reason that we don’t know?

  8. #18
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,706
    I won't go on about my zip code again and I don't have time to be as busy in the neighborhood as I used to be - but the few people I HAVE spoken with are pleased with the verdict . I myself am too but I believe DJT and his entire family should have been granted a lifetime ban on conducting business in New York. Rob

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I won't go on about my zip code again and I don't have time to be as busy in the neighborhood as I used to be - but the few people I HAVE spoken with are pleased with the verdict . I myself am too but I believe DJT and his entire family should have been granted a lifetime ban on conducting business in New York. Rob
    So you are now against minor grandchildren, who are too young to have a business (other then maybe a lemonade stand), not having equal opportunity to the American dream, after not being charged or found guilty of a crime, because of who they are related to?

  10. #20
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,706
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So you are now against minor grandchildren, who are too young to have a business (other then maybe a lemonade stand), not having equal opportunity to the American dream, after not being charged or found guilty of a crime, because of who they are related to?
    For most young Americans, the American Dream no longer exits. I actually am finding myself grateful for this as I believe the cost of living crisis in the face of such massive wealth inequality will hasten the break up of this nightmare country. And good riddance to it.

    As to the very young in the Trump clan - with their money they can set up their children in another country which may be best for them anyway - so that they can live with less tarnish/stigma from the evil Trump name. So your point as to their rights doesn't hold up as well as it would as if we were talking of everyday victims of turbo charged capitalism (think of service workers of all stripes that you encounter in your life). Rob

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •