Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Basics - Shelter, Food, Clothing

It is a great topic, and I need to think about it more before adding much. I did want to add one thing, and that is it has seemed to me over the years that transportation of some sort is a need, so one might have a car or pay for Uber or bus passes or train tickets. Maybe it is a want, but it preserves your ability to care for yourself, so I am thinking of it as a need. In the same vein, there is all the money I spend each month on medical; that's a need rather than a want.
    I 100% think those are very close to needs. A way to get around locally (I didn't say to fly halfway across the planet, I said what I said) and sure if it's public transit so much the better, but a way (I don't say how) to get around locally. And yes healthcare is a human right ... er I mean a need

Avoiding being too hot or too cold is also a need (but how hot or cold? I don't know, I even managed to get in arguments with a therapist about this before, "you should run the A/C, not being too hot is a need" "but the electricity ...." so I'm going to leave that one up to individuals, suffice to say there are temps noone can survive of course).

Human contact is a need. But it doesn't necessarily cost money of course.
    Trees don't grow on money

We certainly indulge in a lot of wants, although I definitely don't indulge in the level of recreational/impulse purchasing that I used to. Pottery classes for example, are obviously not a life-sustaining necessity, but I see them as adding tremendous value to our lives socially, creatively, and intellectual stimulation-wise, so I treat them as a need in our budget. However, I'm fully aware that if push came to shove this is something that could be cut.
    I used to spend crazy money on clothing, and I'm so much less interested in clothing now, and the same is true for jewelry and accessories.
    My big discretionary categories tend to be related to home and garden these days.

I love all the comments - thank you, everyone, for sharing.

I agree that I would be living a little differently if I lived alone versus having others in the household. It's interesting that the first thing I "look" at when thinking about living alone, is all the stuff that is in the house right now that would be gone! While I know I have more things than I really need, I think I have fewer things that the other household members. Again, I realize there are also "house" things that would be here regardless of the number of people, but even that would probably change a little bit if I lived alone.

I also agree with healthcare being more in the "need" category. (Yes, I am a proponent for national healthcare for all.) Internet, cell phones... I teeter back and forth on the fence with these things as needs versus wants. Definitely a need when I was unemployed and everything - including unemployment - had to be done online, but as I approach retirement, I'm thinking it might fall more into the want category. I guess I'll find out eventually - lol.

There are so many other aspects that everyone has mentioned. Time to go re-read the posts!

Again, I'm really enjoying all the input!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Cellphone, internet - I see a lot of comments on FB or elsewhere where folks want to be rid of these. Hello, how do your friends and family communicate? Expecting everyone to just call when they all text or use WhatsApp, etc, is possibly going to lead to you being out of the loop and even more disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Cellphone, internet - I see a lot of comments on FB or elsewhere where folks want to be rid of these. Hello, how do your friends and family communicate? Expecting everyone to just call when they all text or use WhatsApp, etc, is possibly going to lead to you being out of the loop and even more disconnected.
    Not being argumentative, but I can understand the desire to drop cellphone/internet - not that it's anything I'm actually going to do!!! I know it would make it harder to stay in touch, but I'm again reminded that communication is a two-way street. Right now all my family is digitally connected, but if no one makes the effort for contact - regardless of how-, then it doesn't matter whether there are digital tools available or not.

Your comment did make me think - so thanks. I WANT (not necessarily "need") to start reaching out more and not sit around waiting for someone to contact me. Again, thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Not being argumentative, but I can understand the desire to drop cellphone/internet - not that it's anything I'm actually going to do!!! I know it would make it harder to stay in touch, but I'm again reminded that communication is a two-way street. Right now all my family is digitally connected, but if no one makes the effort for contact - regardless of how-, then it doesn't matter whether there are digital tools available or not.

Your comment did make me think - so thanks. I WANT (not necessarily "need") to start reaching out more and not sit around waiting for someone to contact me. Again, thanks.
    I know you’re not being argumentative. I see a lot of people on FB and elsewhere saying they want to drop their smartphones, etc. They don’t have the self discipline to stop being sucked into whatever is upsetting them. They don’t stop to think that they will likely end up being even more isolated because they won’t be on contact with friends and family after eliminating how they stay in touch. I always bring this up and it stops everyone cold. It doesn’t occur to anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I know you’re not being argumentative. I see a lot of people on FB and elsewhere saying they want to drop their smartphones, etc. They don’t have the self discipline to stop being sucked into whatever is upsetting them. They don’t stop to think that they will likely end up being even more isolated because they won’t be on contact with friends and family after eliminating how they stay in touch. I always bring this up and it stops everyone cold. It doesn’t occur to anyone!
    My next door neighbors are as close to being Luddites as anyone I know. They have very limited income, they are reclusive and extremely frugal. Yet, last summer they finally got smart phones. Obviously no one needs a smart phone to survive physically, but to your point, Tradd, in terms of cultural "needs"--you do need a smart phone. That's probably why social services gives destitute people smart phones.

At the same time, happystuff, I know what you are saying--I think we need to learn more about how to be the boss of the smart phone instead of it being the boss of us!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, nice topic. My wife and I find ourselves both working p/t. We in our 50's. With no debt, our expenses run about 3k a month. We bring in just over that. Zero regrets. Only concerns are inflation based. Also, we don't have medical insurance. We, ( my wife ) are into naturopathy, don't trust the medical system in many regards. That being said, never know, could break a bone or need an appendectomy or something along those lines. We like our house but its more than we need and many houses and apartments popping up around us. May consider downsizing to a quieter location in future.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I exist without a cell phone. I know, as an information junkie, I'd abuse its usage. Already spend too much time on the computer...not texting is a blessing--I've got fat fingers!

I am happy when I have enough books to read and a few flowering plants to attract the bees and butterflies. And healthy food.

When a wild urge to consume strikes me like a lightening bolt, I hie myself to my favorite nearby (2 blocks away) thrift store and spend freely. Just the other day, I splurged and purchased two pairs of earrings @ $1/each.

mea culpa.

Have you found it true that we spend the first half of our lives gathering things. And the second half letting go of things??

Simplicity is freeing--and calming.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 3-5-24 at 7:19pm. Reason: to add a bit
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Have you found it true that we spend the first half of our lives gathering things. And the second half letting go of things??

Simplicity is freeing--and calming.
    I think you are right! First half gathering and second half purging. And I also agree that simplicity is freeing, but getting there has been, and still sometimes is, a rocky path.

Thread Information