Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: What do you make of Biden's latest?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,353
    Compassion comes easily when you can do it with other peopleís money. Especially if you donít like the other people. And if you can appear to benefit one of your political poster children like fast food workers, all the better. If they wind up getting priced out of their jobs, well, thatís just the fault of their loathsome employers.

  2. #22
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,908
    Personally Iíd rather not have a fast food worker making my food while sick.

  3. #23
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,908
    And doing the math thatís 1 day every 10 weeks or 1 day in 50. A 2% labor cost increase. Assuming labor is half the cost of fast food a 1% price increase would pay for it. I imagine most customers wonít even notice a $.10 increase on the cost of a $10 meal. But to the workers the improvement in their lives will be quite noticeable.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Personally I’d rather not have a fast food worker making my food while sick.

    Hopefully you mean contagious. Cancer isn't something one can just transfer, especially when the idiot about kills himself and never has planned for his demise.

  5. #25
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,908
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Hopefully you mean contagious. Cancer isn't something one can just transfer, especially when the idiot about kills himself and never has planned for his demise.
    Yes. But someone dealing with cancer probably needs more than 5 sick days.

  6. #26
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,767
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Compassion comes easily when you can do it with other peopleís money. Especially if you donít like the other people. And if you can appear to benefit one of your political poster children like fast food workers, all the better. If they wind up getting priced out of their jobs, well, thatís just the fault of their loathsome employers.
    It's a good thing someone had compassion when they put child labor laws on the table. Or OSHA laws. Or anti-discimination laws. But maybe taking advantage of people until they're squeezed dry is fair game by "the invisible hand of the market." When money is the endgame in this Monopoly game we play, too many businesses opt out of compassion in order to make more of it. In the interest of checks and balances I personally want to live in a society where somebody acts compassionately towards its citizens, whether it's the boss or the government. If the bosses won't care about their workers, I will support the elected officials who will.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,353
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's a good thing someone had compassion when they put child labor laws on the table. Or OSHA laws. Or anti-discimination laws. But maybe taking advantage of people until they're squeezed dry is fair game by "the invisible hand of the market." When money is the endgame in this Monopoly game we play, too many businesses opt out of compassion in order to make more of it. In the interest of checks and balances I personally want to live in a society where somebody acts compassionately towards its citizens, whether it's the boss or the government. If the bosses won't care about their workers, I will support the elected officials who will.
    Itís (possibly) compassion when a law covers everyone equally. Itís cynicism when you apply it solely it to a subset of one category of worker for political purposes. Itís an especially crass form of cynicism when the law will ultimately reduce the number of jobs for the people youíre purporting to help.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Yes. But someone dealing with cancer probably needs more than 5 sick days.
    Needs yes, gets not so much.
    I think I might have made it so I am down to around 70 hours this week, from 100+, whew.

  9. #29
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,767
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s (possibly) compassion when a law covers everyone equally. It’s cynicism when you apply it solely it to a subset of one category of worker for political purposes. It’s an especially crass form of cynicism when the law will ultimately reduce the number of jobs for the people you’re purporting to help.
    First of all, how do you define cynicism in this case? And second, why does caring for the common good have to come down to cynicism? Can't you be for worker's rights simply because you don't want workers to be exploited? I don't see how cynicism is part of the equation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  10. #30
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,908
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Needs yes, gets not so much.
    I think I might have made it so I am down to around 70 hours this week, from 100+, whew.
    Someone dealing with cancer probably will need FMLA leave, which isn't paid. Ideal? No. The best that they can get? Yeah. Most people needing the sick days California gives will be people needing it to deal with the flu or covid or whatever.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •