Thread: Talk about a role reversal!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Talk about a role reversal!

Seriously. Last night I had to do something I don't like doing at all - I had to go through the list of who had the day off and call employees on their time off to ask them to cover. One of those that I called - a very young Gen Z'er - started lecturing me about the evils of capitalism and it was so so so surreal for me as I agree with most of what they were saying - but that still does not get coverage. I can go out on the floor and cover as best I can but I can't be there non-stop.

I wonder if this situation is somehow karma but I can't figure out what I did to deserve it. Whatever. I did get someone to come in for a few hours and I was able to cover the rest. My point is that for me of all people - this was just surreal. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Seriously. Last night I had to do something I don't like doing at all - I had to go through the list of who had the day off and call employees on their time off to ask them to cover. One of those that I called - a very young Gen Z'er - started lecturing me about the evils of capitalism and it was so so so surreal for me as I agree with most of what they were saying - but that still does not get coverage. I can go out on the floor and cover as best I can but I can't be there non-stop.

I wonder if this situation is somehow karma but I can't figure out what I did to deserve it. Whatever. I did get someone to come in for a few hours and I was able to cover the rest. My point is that for me of all people - this was just surreal. Rob
    Thatís funny as hell. Iím sorry, it just is. I can certainly tell you definitely are Catholic as you have tons of guilt. LOL.

Karma, baby! It is a bitch.

But seriously, self awareness of our own foibles can somewhat mitigate guilt. It makes us human and reminds us that we are imperfect creatures.

okay-----tell ya what---take the ball & run with it. but yeah----lay a guilt trip on the patrons, tell 'em they really don't NEED to eat, when homeless street people go hungry! let them deal with it. yup. hope that helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post

One, wait until you are the owner.
    I work seven days a week, take care of two houses, am trying to move so I can sell one, and am going through Chemo.
    Already had a customer bitch that we need to open another location closer to them, and add that to my plate....
    Then another friend said why don't you get married on top of all your doing.

That also doesn't seem to stop the kids from saying they want more hours, but don't want to work them (we don't give money away).
    This week I am down two people, one replaces me on one day, the other is pretty much my right hand gal right now, she was going out of town to see her grandfather this weekend, so I would only miss her two days, and unfortunately her grandfather passed suddenly, saturday in his sleep.
    Going to miss her this week, and I am working extra, and short staffed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    One, wait until you are the owner.
    I work seven days a week, take care of two houses, am trying to move so I can sell one, and am going through Chemo.
    Already had a customer bitch that we need to open another location closer to them, and add that to my plate....
    Then another friend said why don't you get married on top of all your doing.

That also doesn't seem to stop the kids from saying they want more hours, but don't want to work them (we don't give money away).
    This week I am down two people, one replaces me on one day, the other is pretty much my right hand gal right now, she was going out of town to see her grandfather this weekend, so I would only miss her two days, and unfortunately her grandfather passed suddenly, saturday in his sleep.
    Going to miss her this week, and I am working extra, and short staffed.
    I have always said I would never own a restaurant for all the reasons you cited. It is a 24/7 job with a ton of demands.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information