Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The first news story you remember being aware of as a child?

While I don't remember it as a news story, it was, and it is my first memory and happy place. I attended Harry Truman's funeral, and was in the funeral home so my grandfather could get some pictures. He and grandmother were neighbors of his cousin, and grandpa worked in the funeral home.
    Next one I can honestly say I remember, I was I think still six, and Elvis died and its the second time I saw my mother cry.

I realized this morning that I have an earlier memory than I shared above. We got our first TV when I was in the 2nd grade and growing up in the middle of nowhere S/E Missouri newspapers weren't readily available outside of the occasional Sunday edition of the St Louis Post Dispatch. Today I recall sitting on the floor in front of that new TV while good old Uncle Walter broadcast coverage of John Glenn orbiting the earth. That would have been early 1962.

About 40 years later I got to spend the day with then Senator Glenn and his wife on a protection detail while he was in town making a presentation at a private event. As part of the detail I sat with Annie in the first row of the audience as he spoke and later got a pic with him.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Born in 1958. I have a memory of being annoyed at all the TV time the JFK assassination and funeral coverage was consuming. We only had three or four channels in those days, and it was creepy having the same thing on every one.

In third grade I was made aware of the election between Dwight Eisenhower and Adlai Stevenson. One boy in my class was saying we should all vote for Stevenson...my dad disagreed. As for TV...probably the Kennedy Assassination. I was in 10th grade. And we did see the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald on that Sunday morning.

JFK here as well. Remember being told about it in school and it was very surreal seeing all the grown-ups crying. Got home and saw the news.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Snippets of the Vietnam War from a neighbor house where they had a tv when I was real little in rural New Hampshire. Rob

I have a strong memory of the JFK assassination and the various funeral events. I even remember riding my bike home from elementary school and talking with my friend the day it happened. I suppose there are many people in my generation where that is a big one.

The space launches were big, but the lunar landing was HUGE. I went over to a friend's house where a dozen or so people were gathered around a relatively smaller B+W set.

I don't recall watching a lot of national TV news other than special events. Our dinner was on a strict schedule like JP1 and there was no TV until the dishes were done and by then you're into McHale's Navy. We did keep up with a lot of print news and aways have a few Time's or US News types on the coffee table, plus the daily local paper. And I vaguely recall a staticky AM radio in the kitchen that got a lot of use.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

okay-----it was 1962, and a guy who was in deep trouble carried a bomb onto a 707 on a flight from K.C. to Chicago(or vice-versa. but yeah----the plane blew up over iwah, and crashed in zurra, killing all on board. i read about it in the sundy paper on a trip to galesburg, il. yup. isn't that interesting? there is a memorial to the incident, listing the names of the victims. hope that helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Little Bitty Bobby will be proud: I remember reading all the stories about the Boston Strangler in the Boston Record American or Boston Herald Traveler, or whatever it was called back then, with horrified fascination. I would have been 5 to 6 years old, so definitely not age-appropriate reading, but my parents never did censor my reading material. I didn't even understand everything I was reading, but I understood the strangling part and that he did bad things to his victims. As an aside, it is only in posting this now that I realize how far back my reader vs. watcher behavior goes, since my earliest memory of a news story is print media and not the TV news.
    TYVM, RR. but yeah---we saw the mooo-vee, starring Tony Curtis, in our high school auditorium, which at one time was the largest(auditorium) in Alaska. Not long afterward, Albert DeSalvo was murdered in prison. so anyway---they shoulda had Richard Crenna play DeSalvo. after all, he was italian-american, too. yup.(see photos) hope that helps you some. 2024-05-15 (14).jpg2024-05-15 (13).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Born in 1958. I have a memory of being annoyed at all the TV time the JFK assassination and funeral coverage was consuming. We only had three or four channels in those days, and it was creepy having the same thing on every one.
    Aww, just because Kennedy was a Democrat?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information