Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - May 20-July 26 2024

40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - May 20-July 26 2024

Hi All,

I'm a teacher who is on a reduced schedule for about four months a year, mid-December through mid-February and mid-June through mid-August. I also have a REALLY cluttered home. In the past, I've had some success with setting myself a goal of doing a certain number of hours of decluttering during my periods of reduced work. I set one overall goal (usually 40 hours), then chip away at it in smaller increments of time. Some days I aim for an hour; others for four hours (with breaks!). I basically use Flylady's timer method described here, but with longer periods of time than 15 minutes:

https://www.flylady.net/d/getting-st...ng-15-minutes/

This year, my regular schedule has changed. I wasn't able to do 40 hours last summer, but I am on a reduced work schedule now through May. I have had a lot of health issues this fall, though, so haven't been able to start a new batch of 40 hours until now.

Though clutter is still an issue, over the years of focusing on getting rid of it, I've also discovered I need to spend time on making my home comfortable and pleasant which involves putting in time on things like repotting plants into pretty containers, picking out a nice bureau scarf and a "jewelry tree" to make the bureau in my bedroom pretty, and finding a nice tray for the containers of salt, pepper, and olive oil by my stove. I've learned that decluttering is not all it takes for me to finally enjoy my living spaces - figuring out what's pleasing aesthetically to me is super-important too - and really fun. So I'm giving myself credit for time spent on those kinds of activities too.

Also, this year, I have some big home improvement projects to do: getting the exterior of my house repainted and getting my front and back yards landscaped, so any time spent on all the logistics around that I'm going to give myself credit for here too.

In any case, since I started these batches of 40 hours of decluttering in winter of 2017, I've made a lot of progress. My home isn't perfect, but it is MUCH less cluttered and MUCH more comfortable to me than it was six (!!) years ago. And recording my progress here has really helped.

I know for some people setting up a home is kind of second nature, but I've always struggled with it and always lived in cluttered, uncomfortable spaces, so these batches of 40 hours have been a real breakthrough for me.

In any case, thanks for "listening" and for the encouragement so many of you have given me over the years. Your support has kept me going and made a tremendous difference in my life and I think in my daughter's too.

And, as always, if anybody else wants to join in with a decluttering/homemaking goal of their own for a certain number of hours, that would be great!

Every time I start another of these batches of 40 hours, I think, "I bet this time I'll really get to the end," but it hasn't happened yet. I know decluttering will be a life-long process for me, but I do hope that I will reach a completely decluttered state for a few weeks at some point. It would just be nice to be in my home knowing everything that was here is intentionally here.

In any case, as I said above, I'm really coming to love my house now. I've had a bunch of houseguests this spring, and it's been wonderful to have them and not feel totally ashamed of my clutter the whole time.

I did an hour of decluttering this morning Total so far: 1 hour.

You mentioned boxes and things piled up in your hallway.

Hereís a photo of our little hallway with a line of things cluttering it up. The vintage basket on wheels will stay there because itís a cute piece of decor. But all of the other stuff Ė ĖNah. , Maybe the cat scratching post needs to stay there because if I move it will the cats find it? The low basket holds dog toys so I guess I will put it in the living room on a low shelf, but itís kind of ugly. Iíll probably throw away a couple of those toys, so please do not tell my dog.

but thereís a lot of my gardening supplies there and they will eventually go into the garage. But before that happens, we have to move a dresser to make room for it. Thereís a dresser sitting in the garage because our upstairs guest bedroom is under construction.

See how complicated it is? Ha ha. Generally, I know in my head where things are going to end up when theyíre sitting sitting around, looking cluttered.

our dining table is also my desk. I seldom clean it off except when we have company, but thatís fine because everything on my desk has a home elsewhere so I can clean it off in five minutes.

IMG_6587.jpg

Yes, it can be so complicated!

I'm realizing I can live with a certain amount of clutter, but things were really out of hand when I started this project 7 years ago. Our upstairs hallway is very wide which is both a blessing and a curse since it's hard to avoid letting things accumulate there. As you may remember from my earlier posts. I had 50 boxes from our move in the hallway 7 years ago. All but 2 are gone now.

"A place for everything, and everything in its place" is such a good motto, but it's challenging sometimes to live up to it!

Hi all,

I put in 1.5 hours yesterday. New total: 2.5.

2 kittens came into our lives this week - one followed my stepdaughter home in a different neighborhood on Tuesday night, and the other was meowing from inside (but underneath) my engine on Thursday (!!), so many trips to Petco for supplies have been necessary. But sometimes it's appropriate to accumulate!

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    Hi all,

I put in 1.5 hours yesterday. New total: 2.5.

2 kittens came into our lives this week - one followed my stepdaughter home in a different neighborhood on Tuesday night, and the other was meowing from inside (but underneath) my engine on Thursday (!!), so many trips to Petco for supplies have been necessary. But sometimes it's appropriate to accumulate!
    kittens!!!!! wonderful.

Oh yes, we need pictures to admire!

Kittens! Congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Kitten #1

Batman2.jpg

Kitten #2

Peppercorn2.jpg

Thanks for the congrats on the kittens! They're not bonded yet, but we're working on it.

I did another hour yesterday - new total: 3.5.

Thread Information