Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May Frugals

May Frugals

Wow, we haven't been very frugal around here lately, and that certainly goes for me. It's been a very spendy year for us so far. Anyway, I looked on the library website yesterday for a book on my list, and it wasn't listed as being in the inter-library system at all, which is pretty unusual. I then looked on eBay, and I can get a copy for about $10. I'm trying to rein in my spending a bit though, and I recalled that a librarian told me once that we can make requests for the library to purchase items, that they have budget dedicated for that. I checked the library website, and submitted the online request form. A few hours later, I got a note from the librarian saying she had done some research, and the book was published under two different titles, and my local library actually had a copy under the alternate title. So $10 saved, lol.

*If anyone should wonder, the book is The Taking of Annie Thorne by CJ Tudor, and the alternate title is The Hiding Place. She is sometimes called "Britain's Stephen King," so you might be interested, Rogar because I know you enjoy a good horror story. I read The Chalk Man by her and it was quite good).
    Last edited by rosarugosa; 5-23-24 at 5:53am. Reason: corrected typo

I haven't been very frugal lately either, so not much to post.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The only bit of frugality Iíve I done this week is snag two small wrought iron patio tables through Facebook marketplace. Iím not even going to say they were especially cheap. Iím doing it more to keep them out of the landfill. if I was living in St. Louis, Iím confident I could find these items abandoned in the alley. We already have a nice quality table DH found in the alley.

I forgot how much I like “ used” wrought iron patio furniture. It is usually of the heavy variety. The new pieces are so cheap.i discussed this with the seller of the wrought iron tables, an old guy ( my age, haha!) and we lamented the cheapness of crap from China.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I forgot how much I like ď usedĒ wrought iron patio furniture. It is usually of the heavy variety. The new pieces are so cheap.i discussed this with the seller of the wrought iron tables, an old guy ( my age, haha!) and we lamented the cheapness of crap from China.
    I love mine. I bought one set of chairs and a table at the Goodwill in Hilton Head and I can't remember what happened to the table, but I am currently re spray painting them as we speak. I have another set without arms I bought in Illinois at a yard sale and have dragged around four states now and I am repainting them too. They are so permanent--buy once and done. And all of mine were used, since I lost my original set in the divorce. Otherwise I'd be repainting them!

I have laundry hanging, and yesterday we met with our insurance guy and managed to knock about $150 off our car insurance tab w/o changing any coverages, just went to online billing (which I'd already signed up for but apparently it glitched and we were getting both paper and digital), dropping full coverage on the truck - again, had done online but did not work- and changing which driver was designated on which vehicle. So a little, but better than nothing. Insurance is getting really ridiculous, although our hits aren't as hard as in some areas of the country. Other than that, money seems to be flowing out faster than in, and we are looking at a car replacement if the current stab-in-the-dark fix does not hold for our latest very strange car issue. I don't like this time of year - car/home insurance is due, real estate taxes, 2nd half are due, and our pre-pay contract for propane is also due. That's a huge hunk of money. I budget for it monthly, but this spring there were some emergency expenses that were not covered totally by our depleted emergency fund, so there ya go. We may have to hit the 401K money for a car, which I really try to avoid, as it's not a large pool by most standards. *sigh*.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I love mine. I bought one set of chairs and a table at the Goodwill in Hilton Head and I can't remember what happened to the table, but I am currently re spray painting them as we speak. I have another set without arms I bought in Illinois at a yard sale and have dragged around four states now and I am repainting them too. They are so permanent--buy once and done. And all of mine were used, since I lost my original set in the divorce. Otherwise I'd be repainting them!

We got two nice chairs from friends who were moving. And then over the years I’ve been collecting used sets, and we had to get rid of a couple of them when we moved.

The guy yesterday was telling me that Walmart spray paint at $2 a can is very good and has worked on his iron furniture for several years. I usually pay $6-$7 for a can of Rustoleum to repaint these pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We got two nice chairs from friends who were moving. And then over the years Iíve been collecting used sets, and we had to get rid of a couple of them when we moved.

The guy yesterday was telling me that Walmart spray paint at $2 a can is very good and has worked on his iron furniture for several years. I usually pay $6-$7 for a can of Rustoleum to repaint these pieces.
    Good to know--I have been using Rusteolum or Krylon and it has gotten very expensive and these are a basic ivory although it's looking really white to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Good to know--I have been using Rusteolum or Krylon and it has gotten very expensive and these are a basic ivory although it's looking really white to me.
    Well, I just offered this Walmart tip as something to think about. Formulations change all the time so I’m not sure that the paint he bought several years ago is the paint you can buy today.

I use black pan mine so minor classic. But I can see Whyte is nice too. Our friends decorated their little patio in bright colors and painted their iron furniture orange which was very cute with their accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    I have laundry hanging, and yesterday we met with our insurance guy and managed to knock about $150 off our car insurance tab w/o changing any coverages, just went to online billing (which I'd already signed up for but apparently it glitched and we were getting both paper and digital), dropping full coverage on the truck - again, had done online but did not work- and changing which driver was designated on which vehicle. So a little, but better than nothing. Insurance is getting really ridiculous, although our hits aren't as hard as in some areas of the country. Other than that, money seems to be flowing out faster than in, and we are looking at a car replacement if the current stab-in-the-dark fix does not hold for our latest very strange car issue. I don't like this time of year - car/home insurance is due, real estate taxes, 2nd half are due, and our pre-pay contract for propane is also due. That's a huge hunk of money. I budget for it monthly, but this spring there were some emergency expenses that were not covered totally by our depleted emergency fund, so there ya go. We may have to hit the 401K money for a car, which I really try to avoid, as it's not a large pool by most standards. *sigh*.
    I know what you mean about flowing out faster than coming in. Our kitchen was a huge expenditure, and while we have a good contractor relationship going, we had our front steps replaced and they're going to be replacing our rotted cellar door too. In the meantime, we discovered that our sump pump needs to be replaced and we are due for eye exams/new glasses, so it's a very spendy spring for us. Our auto/HO insurance gets billed at the very end of the year, but it's probably high time for me to remove collision from my 2014 Ford Focus. My frugal yesterday was to resolutely disregard what DH was saying about the local restaurant's lobster roll special!

Thread Information