Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intimidated by serving drinks when entertaining

Intimidated by serving drinks when entertaining

I have such a hard time figuring out what to offer people when we’re having Them to our house. Tell me your thoughts about this.

In Hermann we really have to start inviting people over for food and drinks. There are so many people we know here. I no longer drink much alcohol. I drink water. DH drinks ice tea. We don’t have an icemaker so ice is rather scarce but. I guess I could buy a bag of ice cubes and keep them in the freezeer.

I don’t have a hard time preparing food. Our house is clean. Our bathrooms are clean. We’re ready to entertain, but the drinks thing just stymies me.

You know how people often ask when invited “what can I bring? “I feel like saying to them “please bring whatever you want to drink.” Thus relieves my burden!

Among my small social circle, including a group that meets a few times a year, I don't know of anyone who drinks hard liquor. It's either wine or beer. I think the assumed practice would be the host provides a red and maybe a white wine and some beer. Everyone drinks responsibly so there's no reason to have a large stock.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

One thing I used to do when I entertained (don't anymore) was have summer outside parties and fill two washtubs, alcoholic and non alcoholic, with individual cans/bottles so everyone could help themselves.

You can do same thing indoors, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    One thing I used to do when I entertained (don't anymore) was have summer outside parties and fill two washtubs, alcoholic and non alcoholic, with individual cans/bottles so everyone could help themselves.

You can do same thing indoors, I guess!
    when we lived in the city we had parties often, sometimes big parties. I don’t like storing all the liquor if it hasn’t been used. Isn’t it wrong to put beer on ice and then take it off ice it if it’s not used? I don’t know.

I used to have fantasies of taking all the leftovers downtown to the homeless guys who hung out and distributing all that liquor to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Among my small social circle, including a group that meets a few times a year, I don't know of anyone who drinks hard liquor. It's either wine or beer. I think the assumed practice would be the host provides a red and maybe a white wine and some beer. Everyone drinks responsibly so there's no reason to have a large stock.
    no, I don’t intend to serve any liquor other than beer and wine. But I am just as intimidated by the non-alcoholic drinks. Do I buy sodas? If so, dark or light soda? Diet or regular? I have cans of the stuff sitting in my condo.

At our last party I did know that one of my friends drinks bourbon so I bought those tiny bottles of bourbon for him, and that was fine for him. Everyone else drank water or wine. No one touched the soda. So I end up with all these dumb cans of soda.

I don't entertain much at all, we have water and beer. I tell my sisters and friends to bring their own if they don't want beer or water. I don't have ice, either. But I put a jar in the refrigerator when people are coming.

I would tell people what I'm providing and let them know that if they want anything other than that, they should bring it.

For example: I'll have water, ice tea, lemonade, a bottle of red wine, a bottle of white wine and some beers. If there is anything else you want, feel free to bring it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite for soda. Anyone will be able to find something to drink in that. I’d add lemonade or iced tea for the summer.. I don’t drink alcohol, so I can’t help you on that. Big mixing bowls full of ice work to keep soda cold.

What HappyStuff said.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I usually serve beer wine and flavored water. I throw various combos of fruit and herbs into a pitcher of water and chill overnight. Nice in one of those clear jars with the spigot on the bottom.

Thread Information