Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Heavy Price I Must Pay.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The Heavy Price I Must Pay.....

to keep my high paying job. Today the DOJ released it's findings regarding the Phoenix PD and yep, per the DOJ I'm entirely justified in my take on them and always have been.

I was not able to go to neighborhood events today due to work and I'm working a double today, no time for drop ins tonight, either. I will be able to show my face in the morning though provided no drama takes place overnight. But it's difficult - I understand this is a price tag to hold my job, and I am grateful for the chance to hoard cash at my age - but it's difficult. I should be out there in the neighborhood but I can't be two places at once and if I want to keep this job, I am needed here. Rob

So being a productive adult is a shameful thing? You surely are Catholic for all the guilt you wallow in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    So being a productive adult is a shameful thing? You surely are Catholic for all the guilt you wallow in.
    Not to beat a dead horse here.....these issues have been going on where I live for years and now the DOJ agrees with me on this. Some of the people I know here have been on the front lines with me on this and it's a very special day for us all. It's a big deal to me that I am not present - but I also understand this is the price of this job or another similar job, I am making the best of it. Rob

What are you going to remember 20 years from now? Working a double-shift for The Man, allowing him to skim off the surplus value of your labour? Or going to your neighborhood celebrations for an outcome you all have been working hard on for ages?

Take some PTO, or call in sick. 20 years from now your employer won't even remember your name.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I just read some articles about this. It is interesting one of the departments complaints against the finding is they did not have a chance to review the findings first. despite protestations about the report, there were hours of video from body cams and evidence like that is impossible to explain away.

if you absolutely cannot get away, plan a celebration with your friends and neighbors in a few days. Nothing like a cookout or get together to celebrate.

It seems like you are in a dilemma that brought many to forums like this. The value of your time vs. the monetary value of work. However things like mortgages, our for profit health care system and so on weigh heavily on our decisions.

It stinks being in such a situation. I do agree with bae - if you have not already excessively taken advantage of PTO and/or time off, then I don't see why you can't do it for this event. As long as it is not a recurring thing that interferes with your job and you maintain a good work ethic, I say go for it!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

There's a difference between sacrificing some personal time for work every now and then, and having to deal with it routinely or often. Eating one's vegetables before desert is the price to pay sometimes.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Setting priorities between work and other interests and obligations is more or less a universal challenge. Especially if you have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I just read some articles about this. It is interesting one of the departments complaints against the finding is they did not have a chance to review the findings first. despite protestations about the report, there were hours of video from body cams and evidence like that is impossible to explain away.

if you absolutely cannot get away, plan a celebration with your friends and neighbors in a few days. Nothing like a cookout or get together to celebrate.

It seems like you are in a dilemma that brought many to forums like this. The value of your time vs. the monetary value of work. However things like mortgages, our for profit health care system and so on weigh heavily on our decisions.
    I have thought over your post here - it really has made me stop in my tracks and think. Namely, I remember reading of stressed out yuppies making great money were simplifying and that always mystified me as I could not fathom being in that situation. And yet here I am - though I have no intention of leaving my job, nor am I unhappy - all i am saying is that I do give up a lot of time for this job. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I have thought over your post here - it really has made me stop in my tracks and think. Namely, I remember reading of stressed out yuppies making great money were simplifying and that always mystified me as I could not fathom being in that situation. And yet here I am - though I have no intention of leaving my job, nor am I unhappy - all i am saying is that I do give up a lot of time for this job. Rob
    people of all classes, but for the independently wealthy, have either time or money.

Whether you’re a working stiff or middle class white collar worker or a CEO of Megacorp who reports to a Board of Directors you have to exchange your time for money.

That was the lesson of the book “your money or your life. “

Thread Information