Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimalism revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    Thanks for the idea with the books. I will check into it. That and home office are two areas that are next. I have started organizing the home office and will move it to another area when I get rid of the dumb baby grand piano purchase. Talk about an elephant in the room!

I think that my question was: Has anyone just turned, in mid-stream, from a direction that you really felt was right for you and how did it affect you?
    Sissy,

Your "turned mid-stream" question reminds me of a friendship I once abruptly terminated. I thought we were good friends and after a series of unfortunate events I realized this person was not one I wanted to be friends with at all, and I just quit the friendship - quit calling or returning calls, etc. She was the type who was always right, who would have accepted no explanation or reason why we needed to work on x part of our friendship, and I couldn't do it anymore, so I didn't even bother. Now looking back, I see that was definitely not the most noble way to handle it, but once I got her out of my life (after the initial inquiries by mutual friends about why wasn't I calling her, etc.) I felt 100% better. Kind of different from yours, but related. I ran into her once some years later and felt no guilt or remorse about having cut her out of my life. Maybe the look-of-dagger she shot me was sufficient reminder about why I needed out of the friendship in the first place!!

As far as the books, Tradd posted a very thorough tutorial about how to do Amazon in "Organizing Your Life" forum recently. Amazon is easier than eBay in several ways. You could try a few books out to see how it works, and if it is not for you, another suggestion I would have is to contact your local library to see if they have an annual book sale. Maybe that would feel better as far as a donation than just shlepping them off to the thrift store. I know I have a hard time parting with things I perceive to be worth money, but whose monetary value takes effort to extract, such as in the case of your books. For me, it's easier to just let them sit there.

Congrats on your revelation. It must feel very good to have found YOUR happy place, or at least be on the way to it.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    Anne Lee, I am not sure what you mean? Could you elaborate. I am hopefully open minded enough to get what you are saying.
    Sometimes, our response to having too much of anything is to want to get rid of it all. However, you can scale back till you hit the sweet spot of enough. Having enough means having more than almost nothing but not too much.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

I agree that the term minimalism/minimalist varies. I enjoy reading and thinking about minimalism. I am a minimalist where practical (I have 2 sets of bed sheets for our bed and 1 set each for guest bedrooms) and not a minimalist where not practical (6 farm tractors for business purposes). I can be a minimalist in areas where I have control (myself) but not where I have do not have control (my husband). I think one has to find their own definition of minimal living within the larger definition and be comfortable with it.

I'm a pretty hardcore minimialist (one set of sheets, 2 of all dishes & utensils, 2 towels, no books , few home or personal adornments, etc...) but I don't do it because I feel guilty in anyway, shape, or form. I do it because I like it that way and because it is comfortable for me. I get irritated by "stuff" and feel very claustrophobic. So live within your own comfort zone and don't let someone else's version of "enough" guide you at all. As long as you aren't overwhelmed by having stuff, then you shouldn't worry about it.

Thread Information