Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel Cut Oats!

Steel Cut Oats!

I just made them for the first time, and I'm eating them right now ~ they're fabulous!
    A tiny bit more effort but I think I just found a way to make breakfast more exciting!

I've been having them, too, as a result of discussion on the old SLN forum. I tried someone's idea of putting them in the crockpot with a timer. When I get up, wonderful porridge is waiting!

They are good....

I make them in the rice cooker.

I have converted from cooked cut oats to steel cut based muesli keeping tub on go in fridge, adding as much as I take out for then next day. Basically same stuff added as cooked, extra oat bran, fresh ground flax seeds, dried fruit and sprinkle of walnuts.
    I have rediscovered taste for oatcakes made from cut oats lately. Simple yet fulfilling.

Brian could you share some of your recipes; both sound good

yes we just discovered them this year and they are good; seem much more heartier then reg. oats
    Kris
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

I love steel cut oats... but what I find even better is to mix them with other grains. In a big covered pot, I add 1/2 cup of each: steel cut oats, bulgur wheat, millet, and quinoa. Then four cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.

This lasts me all week. I divide it up into 1-cup portions and stick them in the fridge. I pull one out, add raisins and walnuts, heat it in the microwave, and there I have the best breakfast ever!.... That is, at least I think so!

As a Scot, I always use what you call steel cut oats, for porridge, for baking, for skirlie and other Scots dishes, too.
    I hate the 'rolled-oats' when making porridge. It should be served, with a little milk and a teaspoon of salt - hate to eat it with sweeteners or fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    I love steel cut oats... but what I find even better is to mix them with other grains. In a big covered pot, I add 1/2 cup of each: steel cut oats, bulgur wheat, millet, and quinoa. Then four cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.

This lasts me all week. I divide it up into 1-cup portions and stick them in the fridge. I pull one out, add raisins and walnuts, heat it in the microwave, and there I have the best breakfast ever!.... That is, at least I think so!
    Must try this!!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I love steel cut oats (but they are hard to find here). I cook up a pot the night before and freeze the leftovers for another time. Just thaw, add some raisins and microwave. They are supposed to be healthier then regular oatmeal. Quite often I add cinnamon and maple extract to the oatmeal as it is cooking - YUM!

Oops. In my previous post, I forgot to say that you bring it to a low boil, then cover it, reduce the heat and let it SIMMER for 15 minutes. Hope that helps!

Thread Information