Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Becoming a cave dweller

We have a futon that we bought at a B&M futon store about 17 years ago. It's solid and the mattress was about $300 at the time is still very comfortable today. A good futon is like sleeping on a platform bed. Construction and mattress quality are key.

Soaring Heart futon in Seattle is amazing. Get a 4" wool topper for it.

I love my futon. I have a featherbed mattress that I bought on Amazon.com on top of it. I don't fold mine up. I have it made up like a bed, and I leave it flat. I know you said space is an issue, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    oh, my! so many suggestions! I was thinking about trying a foam topper. I swear I hurt all over during the nite and getting up, well, sheesh! I have a full bed down there now, but it takes up quite a bit of room. I guess I should try the foam topper first because it would save money which I really have to watch now. But, I am thinking all of the suggestions over. A murphy bed would be wonderful! I am having to do ceilings, walls, floors and a bath. The problem may take care of itself when I am finished, lol!
    If you have to do walls, you could incorporate the bed into it. If I may, a basic woodworking project type of sight, I sent my sister years ago, may help you: http://ana-white.com/2010/03/plans-a...-to-build.html

She certainly doesn't have much in the way of tools (her husband borrows from me or my father), but she liked the site because she could get it done by herself, since her husband doesn't want to help once he is off of work.

Thanks, ToomuchStuff, that totally looks doable! I am going to have studs and sheetrock installed, so I could have the carpenter add that in. I put the site in my favs!
    I may not run with the wind in my hair, but I do get winded.

LaZBoy makes a queensize sofa bed that is as comfortable as sleeping on a good quality bed. It has a pump up top layer that you can make soft or more firm as desired.

It's also an extremely comfortable sofa as well.

Sissy, I was on Apartment Therapy today and saw this post: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/buy-...l-space-176417

It's a round-up of ideas and resources for living in a small space. I thought some of it might be useful to you as you craft your living space out of that basement.

I have slept on a futon since I got rid of my waterbed in the Precambrian era. Recently I was just not sleeping well because it was so firm, so I got an thing memory foam topper. I think it is an inch or an inch and a half thick. It made a huge difference and I'm sleeping like a baby now. Like Steve said, there is a range of futon quality with some pretty nice ones and also some cheap junk. I think they get a bad rap.

Thread Information