Thread: I need to grow more

I need to grow more

I had a shock at the supermarket today. Tomorrow is Harvest Lunch at our church and I had been co-opted to supply salads. DH and I are not very into salad greens and so they are on our shopping list very infrequently.

Today I purchased lamb's lettuce, baby spinach and mixed salad leaves. I was astounded at the cost and yes I know they are probably full of chemical extras that I would normally avoid.

So I have decided that I will not be caught out again. I will be buying organic seeds and raising my own. Even if we do not eat it there will be something else for swopsies.

Each year I try to grow something that I have not tried before. 3 years ago I planted 2 blueberry bushes and this year I was gifted another from a neightbour who does not like them. Last year I planted Jerusalem artichokes (sun-chokes) and had a good crop, saving some to plant this year and they are up nice and tall with the flowers just coming out. (Yes I planted them in a large container to stop them invading the whole veggie patch). This year I tried garlic and they are just about ready to harvest although I think some of them have already been harvested by a pesky mouse!

Salad greens are easy and rewarding to grow since they grow so quickly. They also grow in lower light conditions that would not be suitable for fruiting crops (tomatoes, squash, cukes etc). Lots of seed companies have mesclun mixes of various types, and several companies have extensive selections of individual lettuces as well. Since I grow greens a lot, I purchase larger packets than you typically find in a store, which is more economical for me. A few companies I can recommend: High Mowing Seeds is an all organic company, Pinetree Garden has usually the most economical seeds and Johnny's just has an incredible selection (as well as the larger packets I usually look for). Grow Italian also has large packets as their regular packet size. They do have some mesclun mixes as well as individual lettuce selections, but fewer than the other companies I mentioned.

Another nice thing about most salad greens, is that you can cut them down multiple times and they will regrow.

I love growing lettuce and mesclun greens. I like the heirloom varieties. I order my seeds from Seeds of Change. They're organic, and I find the quality of their seeds to be excellent.
    Next year I plan to grow more melons. This year I overdid it with the zucchini. But, nothing's gone to waste, and I'd rather have extra to share than not enough for meals.

Potatoes are super easy to grow. Next year I'm going to try growing them in cardboard boxes, which I can tuck into under-used areas of the garden. (The box method works best in areas with cool summers.)

We grew some potatoes - red and Kennebec - and will grow them again. I am going to try more salads this spring but start earlier. I am also going to try the Jeavons methodd of high density planting and potting seeds to start items and then transplant into empty spaces as they open up. I have to get a smaller garden, the big one had too many weeds between the rows and required a lot more watering effort.

Will grow more zinnias with early and later plantings to keep the bloom going for cut flowers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

razz - you know, I've been focussing on vegetables but this summer I really missed having lots of flowers (I did have a meadow but they weren't good for cut flowers. ) I really like the idea of zinnias; I saw some in amazing colors at the botanical garden this year.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Zinnias are so pretty, just love them and they attract butterflies too! My lat garden had a whole row of zinnias down the entire center, it was so pretty. It also attracted some hummingbirds too.

I'm not sure what happened to my zinnias this year, they always grow well. I think I planted 12 different packets of them and only one zinnia came up.

Potatoes in boxes? I like that idea. Probably too hot here but I need to come up with something that is above ground level to give them a try.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Sassy Salad is really good and they have other mixes too
    http://www.botanicalinterests.com/pr...:sassy%20salad
    (As I am posting this, it looks like the software that sends you to the correct location in the catalog from the index may be broken.)

This Asian one is good in salad, soup, or stirfry.
    http://www.botanicalinterests.com/pr...eds/srch:asian

Renee's has quite a few salad mixes:
    http://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/seeds-hm/vegK.htm#let

Thread Information