Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Mindfulness Matters

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    54

    Mindfulness Matters

    Tilly's Corner USA
    photo by Michele O'Connor

    Mindfulness matters!

    But wait! First, what is mindfulness?

    "Mindfulness is a way to live your life as if it really mattered. And that involves being in the present moment with open-hearted presence and kindness toward yourself." Jon Kabat-Zinn Mindfulness is often defined as "the state of being attentive to and aware of what is taking place in the present." [1] Two critical elements of mindfulness are that:

    • It is intentional (i.e. we are consciously doing it); and
    • We are accepting, rather than judging, of what we notice. [2]

    In other words, mindfulness is "openly experiencing what is there." [3]
    Why does mindfulness matter?

    From Action for Happiness
    http://www.actionforhappiness.org/


    • Mindfulness changes our brains - for the better! "Recent research has shown that an 8 week mindfulness meditation class can lead to structural brain changes including increased grey-matter density in the hippocampus, known to be important for learning and memory, and in structures associated with self-awareness, compassion and introspection." Action for Happiness
    • Mindfulness improves health. Mindfulness lowers blood pressure. Mindfulness can alleviate depression and anxiety. Mindfulness reduces cortisol levels. Mindfulness improves sleep quality.

    Tweet this quote: "The inner peace of an alert and calm mind are the source of real happiness and good health." Dalai Lama XIV - 12/7/2012 on his Facebook page

    • Research shows a number of benefits that mindfulness can have on our cognitive abilities. Mindfulness can improve: memory and cognitive flexibility, attention and ability to concentrate, learning ability, and creative thinking. [4][5]
    • Mindfulness improves psychological functioning. It gives us a fuller awareness of internal and external information, enabling more accurate assessment, more conscious choice and so more flexible, less automatic or impulsive reactions. [12]
    • Mindfulness has been shown to directly increase our levels of life satisfaction and positive emotions. studies have shown that individual levels of mindfulness are associated with increased emotional, psychological and social well-being [3][11][12] and likewise with higher levels of life satisfaction and positive emotions and lower levels of negative emotions. [3] See Mindfulness Plus Compassion Equals Happiness on this blog.
    • Mindfulness can benefit our relationships with others. Training in mindfulness increases empathy and levels of compassion towards others. [4][12] One study has suggested that meditation may potentially have benefits for our ethical behavior and therefore benefit society. [4]

    Some Wonderful Special Benefits of Mindfulness


    Please continue reading here: http://www.ahhthesimplelife.com/mindfulness-matters/

  2. #2
    Low Tech grunt iris lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,942
    OP, adorable dog!

    Doggies do live in the moment, a form of mindfulness. Love that about them and then cats. Cats! They are the zen masters, no only do they live in the moment they CONTROL the moment, they are the masters of their universe. In their little cat minds, that is.

  3. #3
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    11,853
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    OP, adorable dog!

    Doggies do live in the moment, a form of mindfulness. Love that about them and then cats. Cats! They are the zen masters, no only do they live in the moment they CONTROL the moment, they are the masters of their universe. In their little cat minds, that is.
    Here is a really old piece on this topic which I wrote when my dog Laddie (1995-2008) was alive.

    Mindfulness is very important to me, and something I try (and frequently fail!) to live moment-to-moment. Thich Nhat Hanh has been the one I have read and looked to for mindfulness teachings.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Doggies do live in the moment, a form of mindfulness. Love that about them and then cats. Cats! They are the zen masters, no only do they live in the moment they CONTROL the moment, they are the masters of their universe.
    Dogs, yeah, pretty much in the moment. Cats seem more like schemers to me though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Dogs, yeah, pretty much in the moment. Cats seem more like schemers to me though.
    Or more positively, strategists.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Xmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boston (area) Massachusetts
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Dogs, yeah, pretty much in the moment. Cats seem more like schemers to me though.
    This made me laugh out loud in a coffee shop!

    I used to think that about my cats when they would walk around on the counters. As soon as they heard me coming they would jump down.

    I realized though, that if they're in the moment there is no thought of the 'humans', in fact, very likely no thought at all. It's likely, as I see it, that they do suddenly become aware of the image of me spraying them with water when they hear me coming. They, like a Pavlovian dog, associate being on the counters with me and water and they move away from it because the water is uncomfortable. It's as though, they're already being sprayed.

    But, I don't see that it is possible that they can be bad or plotting. It's in their nature to climb and explore their environment. And we humans think that conditioning and the ability to learn are the same thing. We condition a cat to get off a counter with water and we think that they should be able to learn the FUTURE behavior. We project that they can learn and that they disobey like bad kids. All they really learn, if that's even possible, is that the humans attack us up here when they are here.

    Now that I think of it, my dog used to do a similar thing when I was a kid. She would go on the couch and quickly get off it when we got home. I was sure of it because I would hear it and then check the couch for her body heat and it was warm.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmac View Post
    This made me laugh out loud in a coffee shop!

    I used to think that about my cats when they would walk around on the counters. As soon as they heard me coming they would jump down.

    I realized though, that if they're in the moment there is no thought of the 'humans', in fact, very likely no thought at all. It's likely, as I see it, that they do suddenly become aware of the image of me spraying them with water when they hear me coming. They, like a Pavlovian dog, associate being on the counters with me and water and they move away from it because the water is uncomfortable. It's as though, they're already being sprayed.

    But, I don't see that it is possible that they can be bad or plotting. It's in their nature to climb and explore their environment. And we humans think that conditioning and the ability to learn are the same thing. We condition a cat to get off a counter with water and we think that they should be able to learn the FUTURE behavior. We project that they can learn and that they disobey like bad kids. All they really learn, if that's even possible, is that the humans attack us up here when they are here.

    Now that I think of it, my dog used to do a similar thing when I was a kid. She would go on the couch and quickly get off it when we got home. I was sure of it because I would hear it and then check the couch for her body heat and it was warm.
    Scheming is when they stop what they are doing when they see you seeing them - and then they stare and wait for you to go away again :-)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmac View Post
    But, I don't see that it is possible that they can be bad or plotting.
    That's exactly what they want you to think







    I would keep an eye open for other suspicious behavior:



  9. #9
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post

    I would keep an eye open for other suspicious behavior:

    I've been a cat person all of my life. All of my life they've done that stuff to me. Who knew!!!????

    One of these days they will get me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,750
    I imagine you've seen this make the rounds on the interwebs...


    Entries in a dog's journal:
    8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
    9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!


    9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!


    10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!


    11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!


    12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!


    1:00 PM - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!


    1:30 PM - ooooooo. bath. bummer.


    4:00 PM - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!


    5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!


    5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!




    Entries in a cat's journal:
    DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.
    DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.


    DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.


    DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time, however, it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid? My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.


    DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.


    DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait; it is only a matter of time......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •