Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang. Dole Pineapple is from Thailand and Indonesia

Dang. Dole Pineapple is from Thailand and Indonesia

I have been buying certain canned good brands for a long time. I guess its my bad that I didn't check Dole pineapple more recently. I did today, and one can is from Thailand, and another from Indonesia. When did it stop coming from Hawaii?
    This is really getting crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I have been buying certain canned good brands for a long time. I guess its my bad that I didn't check Dole pineapple more recently. I did today, and one can is from Thailand, and another from Indonesia. When did it stop coming from Hawaii?
    This is really getting crazy.
    Here's a link with an explanation. http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...e-from-hawaii/

But basically, Hawaii only grows about .13 per cent of the world's pineapple crop. So if you want Hawaiian pineapple, you'll have a limited supply and it will be more expensive. If you want only US grown pineapple sold in the US, then there will be a shortage and the price will go up even more.

It's a decision everyone has to make. Buy local and only have certain foods when they are in season, or buy global and have most fresh foods all year around.

If you like bananas, they aren't grown in the US at all. If you want fresh fruit during the winter, you aren't going to get much that's grown in the US.

Thanks Miss Cellane. Yes, I was thinking about all the people in the world (like me) who want lots of the same thing.
    What concerns me is if the quality control/safety is the same when it comes from other countries......and what chemicals they are allowed to use, etc.
    I guess it boils down to me wanting to eat things that can't be grown locally/in season here. My DD really tries to eat locally and in season. For me, that would be black walnuts from our property and not a whole lot more (at least in winter).
    Lots to think about..........lots to give up..........

Geez, Cathy, you've been scrutinizing food labels lately!

Actually, I was JUST at the supermarket buying garlic, and I picked up a box of two bulbs, and thought of your post and looked--sure enough it was from China! So I picked a box that was from Florida.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

LOL! Yes I have! Between looking for where things come from, and the ingredients and the cost/oz and comparing brands......it takes me forever to get through the store! I usually have to take a lunch with me.

ok, now, what's wrong with Thailand?

I just can't keep up.

In Texas, we have lots of citrus in the fall/winter so we always look forward to pigging out on tangerines, oranges and grapefruit. I find that a lot of canned tomato products are from China so I do peruse those cans before buying. I guess if we are truly concerned about such things, we should be canning away while in season. Not to mention all the news about canned food liners containing BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I just can't keep up.
    IL, from my POV, I don't think there's anything wrong with the produce from Asia necessarily, but I'm thinking of transportation costs to get food here that is already readily available. If I'm making a choice between two boxes of garlic, and Florida is my "local" choice--even though it's 1500 miles away--there's something wrong with that picture.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't know that there's anything wrong with Thailand (I fully expect coconuts to be from there), but it's more the regulations on what pesticides can be used on food often aren't as strong as in the U.S.. Produce can be imported into the U.S. with pesticides that are actually banned from use in the U.S.. And short of knowing every other countries laws, it's a short cut. Also people might want to buy local and while Hawaii is not local it's closer than Thailand. Tropical fruit isn't generally going to be local (although I have seen and do buy when I see it California mangoes). Mushrooms OTOH could be grown locally.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't know that there's anything wrong with Thailand (I fully expect coconuts to be from there), but it's more the regulations on what pesticides can be used on food often aren't as strong as in the U.S.. Produce can be imported into the U.S. with pesticides that are actually banned from use in the U.S.. And short of knowing every other countries laws, it's a short cut. Also people might want to buy local and while Hawaii is not local it's closer than Thailand. Tropical fruit isn't generally going to be local (although I have seen and do buy when I see it California mangoes). Mushrooms OTOH could be grown locally.
    Thanks for saying things I couldn't seem to get out. For me, its also what catherine said..........all the transportation costs too.
    The link that Ms Cellane posted was interesting.......as to what happened to the pineapple industry in Hawaii.

I needed to go shopping again today, and tried to find a non-made-in-China garlic powder. One brand was made in the U.S., but was outrageously expensive.
    I ended up buying a bunch of whole garlic (supposedly grown in the U.S.), and I'll dry it and grind it.
    But geez........something like garlic should be easy to grow in large quantities locally. I meant to plant my own this year, but time got away from me.
    It would be great if every county had several big cooperative greenhouses. Wouldn't that be cool?

Thread Information