Thread: Pallet compost bin

rodeosweetheart

Pallet compost bin

rodeosweetheart
    Sorry, don't know how to get this picture to go in right and cannot delete.
    Anyway, if you tilt your head, you can see our new compost bin made out of pallets.

Cute pup!!! I have one of those little plastic Home Depo compost bins and it works pretty well but I imagine you get more air circulation in one made of pallets. Around here (SoCal) a wood one would be eaten by termites asap though so might not be a good choice.

I have a two section compost bin made out of pallets. Mine doesn't look as neat and tidy though.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

rodeosweetheart
    Thanks for looking, guys, and thank you for commenting on the pup, Spartana, who is cute but WAY more energetic than we bargained for. She loves being in in garden and thank goodness it is getting warmer now.

Float, you are wise to have the sections--DH brought this up but I said let's keep first one simple--although I guess we could stick another one next to it, not a problem! It is a huge improvement over what he was doing, which was creating a garbage midden next to the door--I went ballistic when the snow thawed and there it was, a five foot pile of frozen peelings and old pineapple rinds. It was very soothing to march the compost bucket out there, as well as the dishpan last night.

Nice bin! And your doggie is soooooooooo cute!

Yes Rodeo, I'm a lazy composter so a two section works great for me. I toss in one side all year and meanwhile the other side is cooking. I'm always amazed how many worms I find when I get around to digging out the done side.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

rodeosweetheart
    Thanks, Cathy, she loves her daddy!
    Float, I really think we should add another section--we have the pallets. We started this one to shield an old metal tank (empty save for garbage) but we ought to get that out and put the other one next to it. We are going to grow bird house gourds up the other side of it to cove the tank this year.

Great job on the compost bin!

We're on year 3 of ours, and I'm definitely looking for a second one. The one we have now is an Envirocycle, but I am definitely more interested in one like yours--for the expense factor, and because I kind of know what I'm doing now, and also because someone here (can't remember who) linked to a study that showed that the fastest compost came from systems that were set directly on the ground because the microbes in the soil beneath kind of give the process a bit of a head start.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Yes Rodeo, I'm a lazy composter so a two section works great for me. I toss in one side all year and meanwhile the other side is cooking. I'm always amazed how many worms I find when I get around to digging out the done side.
    I used the wooden pallets also and I had a plastic 55 gallon barrel that drilled holes for drainage in the bottom and cut the top off and used a piece of wood for the top. It worked for me because I didn't want to buy on.

Float on, If you want your worms to do good keep any citrus peals separate if you can. I also covered it with wet newspaper or cardboard. When I made fresh juice celery, carrots and greens I would use feed the pulp to my worms .

Thread Information