Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken wrist

Broken wrist

I tripped over my desk chair, at home, fell on my bum, but my left arm hit the floor flat and I broke my wrist. Heard it snap, angled weird, off to the side, immediate huge amount of swelling. Grabbed an ice pack out of the freezer, and called a friend who got me to the emergency room very quickly. They put me at the head of the line, only waited a few minutes to be seen.

Manipulated it around a bit, and put a "splint" on it, plaster top and bottom, open on the sides to allow for swelling, wrapped the whole thing, armpit to finger tips, said to see the orthopedic dr the next day.

Ortho doc had a fit because they had set it "flat," "wrists are never flat," put my arm in traction for an hour, manipulated it around (screaming painful), and reset into another "open splint" with directions to keep moving fingers, keep it elevated, keep it still; no work or driving for at least 4 weeks, come back in a week.

That was Friday, this now early Tuesday morning. The swelling is awful, pain is intense. I have Norco to take no more than every 6 hours- it wears off in 4, then the pain is so intense I want to scream for 2+ hours, until I can take more and it kicks in. UGH!!

Meanwhile, a Facebook friend broke her wrist the day after me, and she posted pictures of herself and kids at Disneyland today having a great time! I want her prescription!!!

But seriously, am I doing something wrong that I am in SO MUCH pain?!?

Doesn't sound normal. Would be running back to Ortho. However, with the break and so much manipulation of the wrist by the two offices, nerves have probably been damaged.

Doesn't sound normal. Would be running back to Ortho. However, with the break and so much manipulation of the wrist by the two offices, nerves have probably been damaged.

Here is some good info. See potential complications and pain relief. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00412

Ortho Nurse here: You need better prescription pain relief. Call the office as soon as they open and tell them the Norco BARELY lasts 4h. They should up it to 4h or change you to something stronger. Are you allowed to add Naproxene (Aleve) or Ibuprofen? Do that if allowed.

Be sure your wrist is consistently above your heart. Up on pillows when sitting or lying down. Ice is your friend. Fasten a bag on with a towel wrap and leave 1h at a time (I doubt you can frostbite your skin through all the dressings).

THis information is from the PDR (physician desk reference). Does your bottle not say you can take every 4-6h????? That was my first thought.

• What is the usual dosage?

The information below is based on the dosage guidelines your doctor uses. Depending on your condition and medical history, your doctor may prescribe a different regimen. Do not change the dosage or stop taking your medication without your doctor's approval.Adults: The usual dose for the Norco tablet containing 5 milligrams (mg) hydrocodone/325 mg acetaminophen is one or two tablets every 4-6 hours as needed for pain. Do not exceed 8 tablets per day for Norco 5 mg/325 mg. The usual dose for Norco 7.5 mg/325 mg and Norco 10 mg/325 mg is one tablet every 4-6 hours as needed for pain. Do not exceed 6 tablets per day for Norco 7.5 mg/325 mg and Norco 10 mg/325 mg.

Yes, overuse of narcotic is a problem in this country. Your pain sounds legitimate and demands immediate attention. If they don't listen, change doctors.

rodeosweetheart
    Gosh that is awful, no advice, just commiseration, and yeah, tell the doctor's office that the pain relief is not cutting it, as you would think the pain would have abated somewhat by now--maybe they need to look at it again?

double check how much tylenol is in your Norco, you don't want to exceed 4000mg in 24 hrs. If you have norco/325s and take 2 every 4 hrs you come in just under the line. When you find out if you can add motrin or aleve for inflammatory pain, take that in between norco doses so you always are "on" one or the other if that makes sense, i.e: don't take them at the same time

I think if I was in that much pain, I might want to be seen again although ortho is not my thing. Sheesh, I'm sorry that sounds like a nasty break.

Apart from the wonderful suggestions about checking into better pain relief, did your doctor suggest icing it? Your pain could be coming from the swelling and icing could help with that.

no advice, but I am sorry this hurts. Get better soon.

rodeosweetheart
    You know, I reread your initial post and I would go into the doc or back to er today, as that sounds like you are going in the wrong direction here, with so much intensified swelling and pain.

So sorry! I hope the doctors are able to do something for the pain - soon!

Thread Information