Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sigh.. the outdated, devalued McMansion

My last co-housing experience looked like this. It sort of turned me off the concept.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I wish my state permitted co-housing but it is prohibited.

Living like the Waltons (except for one bathroom) would be awesome.

I found out that some states have free homesteading (small nowhere towns). They have strict requirements though.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    I wish my state permitted co-housing but it is prohibited.

Living like the Waltons (except for one bathroom) would be awesome.

I found out that some states have free homesteading (small nowhere towns). They have strict requirements though.
    That is interesting, I wonder what kind o f law(s) they have to prohibit it? Is it real estate conveyance laws that cover this, or ? I am just thinking out loud, dont really need an answer unless you happen to know.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-8-16 at 1:11am.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My last co-housing experience looked like this. It sort of turned me off the concept.

That would do it.
    If I never have a roommate again it'll be too soon.

I must say, most of the McMansions on the links are WAY prettier than the stucco box developments I've seen.

When we were looking for a house ( less than 2 years ago) McMansions were still very popular in Oregon. Now it seems everyone wants a smaller eco-house - not tiny, but under 1,200sf, with solar power, raised beds, deer fencing, smaller lots - planned communities are big here.

The McMansions still sell, but aren't being built (good.)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is interesting, I wonder what knd f law(s) they have to prohibit it? Is it real estate cnveyance laws that cover this, or ? I am just thinking out loud, dont reslly need an answer unless you happen to know.
    Not exactly sure, but knowing the USA legal system it probably requires numerous permits because otherwise everyone would divide their homes up into multiple sections, then you have the tax regulations, insurance laws and so forth.

There are a few older homes in my area that are divided into apartments because it was done before the laws changed. Those are high-crime areas because so many people are living in close proximity to each other.

I might be wrong about other counties though, not sure but I know my states is in denial about the economy.

Interesting that on PBS there was show tonight about tent cities and apparently Michigan has a huge one and is overlooking the illegality of it. (I don't live in Michigan)

Like I said a gazillion empty homes and apartments and landlords will not reduce rent to fill the things up. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

You know nowadays if a family like the Waltons lived that way with only one bathroom and a lot of kids in one or two bedrooms or in sheds outside, they would be in trouble with the law.

Of course, the pioneers and today, the Amish have out houses and lots of children and lived in one or two rooms.

Sandy at one point i was a SW in child protection and we did not care if the home only had 1 bathroom and multiple kids sharing rooms. We cared about kids being beat, starved, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    Of course, the pioneers and today, the Amish have out houses and lots of children and lived in one or two rooms.
    I grew up in an Amish area, and still visit, and they have indoor plumbing and houses with more than 1-2 rooms...

I live in a heavy McMansion town. My kids' friends often lived in one. I had to laugh because the majority of the time they were barely furnished and not decorated the way you would expect looking from the outside. Two fancy cars in the driveway, country club membership and they were probably in debt up to their eyeballs. Then there'd be the inevitable divorce and inability to sell the McMansion for anywhere near what they paid for it. We lived around the corner from one development and being one of few townhouse communities in the area, kids called where we lived "the ghetto". Until they moved in with their mom.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I live in a heavy McMansion town. My kids' friends often lived in one. I had to laugh because the majority of the time they were barely furnished and not decorated the way you would expect looking from the outside. Two fancy cars in the driveway, country club membership and they were probably in debt up to their eyeballs. Then there'd be the inevitable divorce and inability to sell the McMansion for anywhere near what they paid for it. We lived around the corner from one development and being one of few townhouse communities in the area, kids called where we lived "the ghetto". Until they moved in with their mom.
    My town's history typifies the concept of upward mobility and buying "up." The township itself was completely rural until the 50s/60s when developers came in and carved out a couple of villages--one of which I live in. The first wave of housing were cookie cutter ranches, and it was anchored by two schools and a strip mall and roller rink.

In the 70s, my development was built--a step up from the little ranches, they were/are 70s split levels like what you would see on The Brady Bunch. We moved in in the mid-80s and shortly after that, in the early 90s, all our friends were "movin' on up" to the NEW development which was basically the pre-cursor to the McMansion. I KNOW there was a class difference in school between the kids who lived in the "old" development vs the new.

The true McMansions came later, and we have a few, and surrounding towns have even more. Princeton was able to stave them off for a while, but there are now quite a few push-downs, former ranches that are making room for big monstrosities on tenth-of-an-acre plots.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Not many mcmansions hereabouts--maybe not any. But I'm sure anything with a lot would sell around here, and at inflated prices.

Thread Information