Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with a natural deodorant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Problems with a natural deodorant

Several years ago I developed an itchy rash after using deodorant on my underarms. Up until that time I was able to use Secret, Tickle (remember that?), Ban, whatever was on sale. It didn't matter. After the allergic episode I switched to Crystal, first using the crystal rock and then finally switching to Crystal Essence roll-on a "natural" deodorant. I have used this for years with no problems. At one point I tried switching to Toms of Maine, but also had a reaction to it. So, back to Crystal. Now, in the last few weeks, I have developed an intense itch and not just a rash, but actually angry raised places where the deodorant went. It is almost a paintful itch. So, now I am afraid to put anything on that area except what I am using to clear up the rash, (aloe vera gel and sometimes neosporian to help heal). I gently clean the area and swipe some Witch Hazel, (recommended when you can't use a deodorant), and so far no one has moved away from me if I sit near them!

Now I am wondering when this all clears up, what I am going to use as a deodorant. I am very disappointed in Crystal, and after looking online I saw a forum where several people had reported having itchy rashes after using it. Have any of you guys used this, and if so what experiences have you had? What is your recommended deodorant? Does anyone go "natural", use nothing at all except plain old soap and water? I would appreciate your thoughts please.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Yes, I've gone for long periods of time going "au naturale" But then again, I work from home and my husband probably would be more forgiving of a little BO than coworkers. I feel that I wear deodorant for "insurance" purposes only. If you shower every day, unless you live in the South, I think you can pick and choose when you feel it's necessary for that insurance.

Maybe because I'm in marketing, I feel like deodorant has pushed its way into our culture by making us feel insecure without it. My MIL would simply wash her "oxters" daily with soap and water. She never owned a deodorant. And I never in my life caught an unpleasant whiff coming from my MIL. But that doesn't mean I would be dogmatic against it. Deodorant certainly has its place. I am currently using Tom's when I'm on the road with clients, but I also go with non-natural ones like Dove.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I mostly go natural and don't consider it an issue, but it was a different story when I used to sit in stuffy meeting rooms with stressed out people.

Have you considered just using a few drops of tea tree oil? It's a natural antibacterial and anti fungal. I've never tried it but have a little knowledge of essential oils. When I do use a deodorant I only use commercial versions of tea tree.

just a mainstream brand, I have tried the natural stuff like Tom's before but rash and skin peeling with Tom's, plus I actually do like antiperspirants, maybe it's killing me but ...
    Trees don't grow on money

I often skip it. I don't tend to sweat in the underarm area particularly. When I do wear it, I use EO spray, which is just lavender essential oil, purified water, and organic ethanol. DH & I both seemed to break out from Primal Pit Paste, an organic brand using coconut oil.

I use antiperspirant myself since I sweat a lot, but I've made natural deodorant for hubby by mixing coconut oil and baking soda and maybe some essential oils like tea tree or eucalyptus.

No suggestions and good luck in your search. I have tried every natural homemade and purchased out there I think. If I am doing nothing all worked or maybe I just do not sweat doing nothing. Doing anything however is a different story

Yes I too think we at least in America have been trained to believe we "need" all this protection from our natural self. Same as the "smell" of clean in cleaning products and soaps. I have moved on from cleaners and body soaps commercially made. Laundry Detergent and Deodorant and the two items I have not found a replacement for.

I used Tom's for years. Then suddenly one day....rash. I quit and I use nothing. Honestly, it takes some time to get accustomed to the fact that you will have a bit of odor. I've asked 2 people at work that I trust to be honest "I had to quit using deodorant. If you notice an odor please tell me". They both assure me still that they notice nothing.

Tom's was sticky feeling.

I use commercial, Dove, Arrid and Ban. I have to switch it up or they stop working. I bathe every day, use vinegar splash under my arms after my bath, but wait until morning for the deodorant and vital anti perspirant . I have gone a day without...not nice. Good luck. My husband finds Dove the least irritating.

Thread Information