Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT rights in the USA today...

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My island had its first Pride event this weekend.
    (*) Also, someone replaced many of the event posters with this:

Attachment 2843
    Ha! Predictable level of literacy and aesthetics. (Is that supposed to be a pentagram or something?)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ha! Predictable level of literacy and aesthetics. (Is that supposed to be a pentagram or something?)
    I thought perhaps it was the anarchist symbol. This particular poster design might be the result of a false-flag operation, as it is so over-the-top silly - we never caught a good video image of this troublemaker.

Yes--looks like the anarchist symbol. I thought the "horns" were upside-down. False flag makes some sense.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/busin...rnd/index.html

"Florida's Tax Credit Scholarship lets companies make tax-deductible contributions that funds vouchers to private schools for low-income students. The program sparked backlash following an Orlando Sentinel investigation that found 83 of 1,000 private religious schools, which accepted the vouchers, had anti-LGBTQ policies, including banning students from attending the schools or expel them for their sexual orientation."

Apparently, the next hot issue is puberty blockers for trans kids:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/...berty-blockers

It would be nice if doctors, parents, and the children involved were allowed to make such decisions without government getting involved.

It would be nice if doctors, parents, and the children involved were allowed to make such decisions without government getting involved.
    I will admit it worries me that hormones and anti-hormones are given to children based on their conviction of the moment. But medically, I do not know what is reversible and what isnt.

I regularly see in dogs effects of early neutering (lack of appropriate hormones) that negatively affects their bone development, so I cannot believe these treatments are all benign.

But in the end I prefer the government stay out of a medical treatment where patient, parent, and physician are involved. Some kids get better parenting than others. That’s the breaks, who kids draw for a parent is a crapshoot.

I see this as a societal swing far away from treatment of gender-ambiguous kids decades ago, where doctors decided a gender for the patient based on physical characteristics. I realize it is a different situation, but over all, societally similar. I will bet there’s lots of adults who wish the government had stepped in to keep doctors from making permanent changes to their tiny bodies.

And if mommy lets her 11-year-old decide he’s a girl today well OK and if that action permanently changes his body, I am not sure that is ok. Medically treating these kids seems like a complex issue and I’m glad i dont have to make any decisions in that arena.

It's a difficult and complicated issue, that's for sure.

I think it’s a bad idea to give kids hormones, etc. Let them grow up and decide as adults. I didn’t neuter max until he was 11 months and hadn’t grown for 3 months. A dog I spayed at 6 months had a unusual growth spurt at 2 and back pain for life.

I have a trans-niece. I do hope they do hormone blockers soon. The male hormone onset of large bone structure etc cannot be reversed. If she were to decide in a year, that she really wants to be male, stop the blockers and the body proceeds with testosterone driven biology. I worked with a trans woman last year. Her challenge at work was exactly that large male bone structure that made her "stand out".

Blockers are desirable initially for pre-hormone teens rather than going straight to estrogen/testosterone treatment and seldom will a provider prescribe the hormones immediately as this decision can be temporary.

A 2008 study found 61% desisted from their transgender identity before reaching the age of 29,[17] and a 2013 study found 63% desisted before age 20.[18] A 2019 clinical assessment found that 9.4% of patients with adolescent-emerging gender dysphoria ceased wishing to pursue medical interventions and/or no longer felt that their gender identity was incongruent with their biological sex within an eighteen-month period.[19]

It is a challenging time for the immediate family. I'm grateful my niece is alive. Prior to this decision he had been a severe cutter having hidden it for 18 months until a friend turned him to the Nurse at school. My nephew took him to counseling where she remains a regular client and for that I continue to be grateful.

I know there's a window for hormone-blocking; which is why legislation like this is so cruel.

It really is a difficult issue. I wonder how much ongoing research is being done to pinpoint the cause of this phenomenon.

Thread Information