Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When do you think that you will get too tired of living between two households and shut one down? I would be exhausted trying to what you are doing plus all the physical efforts in renovating as well.
    Believe it or not it's NOT exhausting. we've done our rehab of 1250 sf cabin over 15 years. A bit at a time (and all cash). We should finish this summer. We have minimal furniture and stuff. Our city home is just 1850 sf so that helps too.

Our cabin is super relaxing and we are rejuvinated by the time we leave even when we're there just 40 hours.

Our Hermann house now looks like crap because we donated the mural covering all four walls in the entry way, and the result is ugly yellowing/brown wallboard. Too bad, because I found this house peaceful even if shabby. Now it is ugly, not just shabby.

It was funny what our friend said: “So you guys are now making your Herman house look like your city house looked not too long ago.” That is true! I guess we don’t know how to live for very long in a house that is finished, we have to start tearing it apart.

At this age I would just get it done so you can enjoy having a finished house but then I hate to live in chaos. Had to when young because we couldn’t afford to do everything at once. If you are still waiting on the architect I would find a new one. You started this thread a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    At this age I would just get it done so you can enjoy having a finished house but then I hate to live in chaos. Had to when young because we couldn’t afford to do everything at once. If you are still waiting on the architect I would find a new one. You started this thread a year ago.
    We havent even given the architect a list of things we want. He did general drawings for us, but nothing real. Not his failt. We had to work through just how much we want to do. Anywhere from “tear it all down” to “just build garage and move kitchen” .

But because I am fond of the funny little old house, I cant bring myself to build new. I just do not like new construction.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-12-19 at 1:19pm.

I wouldn’t tear it down either. I love old homes. I didn’t realize it was your indecision’s holding it up. My husband was good at envisioning and planning the changes to this house when we bought it. Within 4 months of closing him and a helper did all the work before we moved in. We moved some walls and a bathroom. We relocated the laundry from the kitchen to the garage. We were lucky enough to be able to match the kitchen cabinets since we needed more. They were one of the few things worth keeping. The people had pergo over the hardwood floors. We removed it and refinished the floors. It was fun to make it the way we wanted it. We didn’t worry about the yard until the next summer. I know you guys have been working on the yard. It also sounds like your property has a much bigger yard.

I'm with IL in terms of grappling with direction to take and how much of the old to keep and how much to get rid of. I'm going through the same thing. We did NOTHING to the house in VT last year except some minor landscape maintenance--I grew my gardens and added some perennials and laid down a mulch pathway.

I didn't do anything I said I wanted to do, because of indecision. I used the excuse "I want to have enough time in the house to "feel" what I want" which is true, but still, it's a great reason to procrastinate.

I thought I had a GREAT color palette down. My preference is nice neutral on all the walls but I'm getting serious pushback. Family and a few friends like the funky, wacky bohemian every-wall-a-different-color thing. So I've been searching high and low for a way to make the Color Intensity people happy and Beige-Is-Best me happy, too. After much searching, I chose the walls a light khaki, the slanted, beamed ceiling a nice mid-tone blue with hint of green undertones, and then the doors and the two entrance doors a bold teal (I think I picked the color Blueprint by Behr). Yellow accents and even one yellow accent wall.

So I was so happy. I did one of those color visualizer things on line so I could show DH what it would look like in our house and he shot it down "I hate turquoise. It looks tacky--like flamingos" (Blueprint isn't turquoise per se, it's teal, but he certainly wouldn't know the difference).

Back to the drawing board. Meanwhile we have on our to-do list an outdoor shower, hand rails for the porch (safety issue), paint the exterior so that it's cohesive, fix or replace a screen door, fix a broken wall and buy a 2 x 2 base cabinet from ReStore, move the electrical around so it doesn't look jerry-rigged, repair a leaky roof, install a new sink faucet, install subway tile backsplash.

That's for starters. But I definitely don't want to HGTV our little quirky place.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hate teal. Hate it. I am with your hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    haha!!! OK.

Come on... don't you love these?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/228979962291584357/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/228979962291280061/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/228979962291596190/

I LOVE this combo, but it's probably too soft for my funky friends

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/228979962291154014/

This is. my palette inspiration
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/228979962291098482/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Teal must be a difficult hue. I love most color, but have trouble appreciating that one, unless it's used as an accent in really small quantities. But I really have no room to talk, as I'm contemplating a rosy coral, puce, and chartreuse color scheme.

And what's wrong with flamingos?

"for a way to make the Color Intensity people happy and Beige-Is-Best me happy, too"

Why are you trying to make family and friends happy in the home you and husband have to live in everyday? Do they live with you full time?

Thread Information