Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My simple-living cousin (and speaking of FIRE)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    G, that’s awesome. We all hope to go fast but don’t always get our wish.
    A blessing indeed. 13y prior, Dad died of his CA in 4 months. In his words "I'm going to drown aren't i". Yes Dad, it's going to feel like that. Lung cancer sucks especially when it goes to the brain and bone before the last breath. So grateful for a short time-frame of his suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, I am not criticizing at all. I had 2 awesome parents but wouldn’t have wanted to do it full time and we got along wonderfully. If they never had kids it would be easier. I am having my fun carefree days in my 60’s . Better late than never. They all sound like great people.
    I hear ya.. It is definitely a difficult task. I think I regret not stepping up to that challenge with my mother--although I really couldn't. I had 4 young children, a husband with some health issues, and I had to "bring home the bacon." Plus, my brother lived near my mother in the town they both grew up in and he had no children so he was a better candidate to watch mom (who lived in assisted living in her later years).

My parents have been gone for decades, and my kids are grown, so yes, I admit I'm living a fairly carefree life myself. But I'd trade in some of that for more time with my mother.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My SO and I did tag team caretaking for a couple of months when my mother was dying. This involved me driving from the Seattle to the Portland area and back every few days. My siblings were much closer, but MIA. I think my beloved and I developed new respect for each other during that time. I'm glad I did it, but I can't imagine being a caretaker for months or years.

Thread Information