Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A Little Something New

Quote Originally Posted by Coldcash57 View Post
    Been a member of both old and new forums for maybe 15 years but never spent much time on them. Now retired, looking forward to interacting with the community.

Starting with reading Thoreau at the age of 15, I've been an armchair simplicity enthusiast all my life while caught up in the throes of consumerism. My fault, I know. Even went so far as to drive 1100 hundred miles back in the early 1980s to Maine and meet Helen and Scott Nearing. But I've never approached it seriously enough to try it for any more than a short time, especially with other family members also indoctrinated as consumers.

So here comes COVID-19. And sheltering in place. And I live in one of the first states that shut everything down, Ohio. So with no place to go, no place to eat out at, it's not hard at all to NOT SPEND. And I've never seriously tried and stuck to a budget for more than a few days. We're 2 weeks into out first budget and I'm glad to report we've finally started. My problem has always been starting, but better to start late then never!

I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms from not spending, or driving around foolishly, or eating out when we want! lol I'll be fine!
    Very cool! Thanks for re-introducing yourself! I really relate to what you said about Thoreau--Walden is one of my top 10 books, and another one of my top 10 books is The Good Life by the Nearings! (So cool to meet them!). But, also like you, my aspirations are in one place and my lifestyle is in another in many ways.

Welcome back!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Welcome CC! Yes we also are really missing our lives.

Welcome, CC!
    I was thinking about the fact that much of the country has been involuntarily thrust into simple living. Those who have at least some desire to live simply are bound to do a bit better with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Welcome, CC!
    I was thinking about the fact that much of the country has been involuntarily thrust into simple living. Those who have at least some desire to live simply are bound to do a bit better with all this.
    Agreed. And then there are those who can't wait for "the windfall" to shop online

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Agreed. And then there are those who can't wait for "the windfall" to shop online
    of course that's the only way a stimulus check could be stimulating to the economy. Of course in reality one could make the case, as many people should be either working from home or at home unemployed as possible. As few warehouse workers employed as possible but obviously that's not none, as people are ordering necessities online if they can now too. Sometimes I almost feel somehow I should be using the stimulus check to stimulate the economy, but uh not in a pandemic, let's deal with this pandemic first.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    of course that's the only way a stimulus check could be stimulating to the economy. Of course in reality one could make the case, as many people should be either working from home or at home unemployed as possible. As few warehouse workers employed as possible but obviously that's not none, as people are ordering necessities online if they can now too. Sometimes I almost feel somehow I should be using the stimulus check to stimulate the economy, but uh not in a pandemic, let's deal with this pandemic first.
    I believe that stimulating the economy also occurs when you pay your bills and meet your other financial obligations - not necessarily go out and spend for the sake of spending. I've never really had a lot of disposable income, so my spending habits have not really changed much. I contribute to the economy by paying those bills that I accrue, thus making it possible for those companies to pay THEIR employees, etc. etc. etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Very true, Happystuff. There is definitely a ripple effect from meeting or not meeting one's financial obligations.

What a WONDERFUL way of thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I believe that stimulating the economy also occurs when you pay your bills and meet your other financial obligations - not necessarily go out and spend for the sake of spending. I've never really had a lot of disposable income, so my spending habits have not really changed much. I contribute to the economy by paying those bills that I accrue, thus making it possible for those companies to pay THEIR employees, etc. etc. etc.
    What a wonderful way of thinking, and so true as well! Thanks for sharing!

Your third memoir sounds interesting. I know that due to abuses in Canada where test subjects were given too much and had psychotic episodes, testing was halted in the USA, and just opened up again a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Totally agree!

Thread Information