Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy choices/weight accountability

Like all things in life, moderation is key. Some fats in our diets are fine and necessary.Eating all of the fat I would like to eat is NOT a healthy diet, I do not exercise it off. I do not live an Inuit lifestyle.

DH has a high BMI by current measures. He is on the short side, has heavy bones and big shoulders. And frankly during the winter he carries excess lbs.

But his dr is happy with his numbers, good BP and cholesterol and resting pulse rate. He had the required colon/rectal exam.ps. DH always brags when he returns from the dr appts. Annoying!

Jane, I’m never going to tell you what you should eat.

I’m fine with fat, I’m fine with carbs, I’m just not a fan of highly processed and refined anything.

and I do think fat and sugar make me gain weight. So I try to piggy back less of them when I can. Because for me, lean meat is not an option. And I like my dairy products whole. I’d rather have my fat there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Jane, I’m never going to tell you what you should eat.

I’m fine with fat, I’m fine with carbs, I’m just not a fan of highly processed and refined anything.

and I do think fat and sugar make me gain weight. So I try to piggy back less of them when I can. Because for me, lean meat is not an option. And I like my dairy products whole. I’d rather have my fat there.
    I was making a comment on the state of nutrition information in the media, and responding to Gardnr's post.

I didn't think for a minute you were telling me what to eat. I'm sorry you got that impression.

I had a snow day yesterday. I didn’t keep track of my eating, but I mostly grazed all day. Small amounts of lots of things, good and bad. Dh made dinner with veggies and black bean/sesame pasta (marketed for the gluten free, but bought by me for the high protein to carb and fat balance). I didn’t exercise yesterday, but I got plenty of sleep last night.

I woke up hungry this morning and am trying to resist eating until I figure out if we’ll be able to make it out in the snow to have my favorite Saturday pancakes (also a high protein blend) and the farmer’s market cafe. We haven’t been able to go for weeks.

tybee and danna, how are you doing?

I’m not sure if anybody else is looking for a support group, so apologies if I’m leaving you out. My impression of the other posts is people throwing out ideas for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I had a snow day yesterday. I didn’t keep track of my eating, but I mostly grazed all day. Small amounts of lots of things, good and bad. Dh made dinner with veggies and black bean/sesame pasta (marketed for the gluten free, but bought by me for the high protein to carb and fat balance). I didn’t exercise yesterday, but I got plenty of sleep last night.

I woke up hungry this morning and am trying to resist eating until I figure out if we’ll be able to make it out in the snow to have my favorite Saturday pancakes (also a high protein blend) and the farmer’s market cafe. We haven’t been able to go for weeks.

tybee and danna, how are you doing?

I’m not sure if anybody else is looking for a support group, so apologies if I’m leaving you out. My impression of the other posts is people throwing out ideas for us.
    Thanks for checking in, CL! I am doing lousy, actually, real frustrated. Six weeks on Noom and I have gained two pounds. I think I need to stop it and do something else. I did order Marcelle Pick's book. I looked up Code Red diet after reading Gardnr's post.

This morning I started keeping a notebook. The one thing good about Noom is it forces you to weigh daily, and you record what you ate. The coaching is not working for me, and I do think I need to stop it, as part of this process for me is to figure out something that works and then stick with it. After 6 weeks, that's a pretty good indicator that it doesn't work, so I need to just step up to plate and cancel it.

Tybee, it’s good to know when something is not working.

a thought on weighing - my weight tends to fluctuate a couple of pounds from day to day. I do weigh myself daily, but more to keep an eye on trending. I try to pick a day of the week and call that number my baseline for the week. As long as the daily numbers are no more than a pound or two above that base with variation in both directions, I don’t pay much attention. The week-to-week totals are more important.

if your eating/hydration/activity levels fluctuate a lot from day to day, you can see changes that seem significant, but are really just “noise”

another thing I never do is weigh myself the morning after a restaurant meal. I know the meal will have a lot more salt than I am used to and I will have consumed a lot more water and retained more of it and my weight will be up a couple of pounds.

paying attention to what your are eating us hood. I would suggest when and why as well.

dh has agreed to add the new pasta into the meal rotation.

I mostly stayed on track this week for food and exercise... DD made a batch of cookies and I ate more than I would have liked. But, on to this new day, when I will go walk with a friend in a park where swans visit year-round.

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, too (fish about once/week). Some of the easy things I prepare are
    roasted tofu - in cubes - easy to toss into meals such as salads or bowls - I bake 2 pounds at a time and store in the fridge
    all sorts of bean dishes - made in large quantities. Some favorites are Indian dishes such as rajma or chole, chili with lots of vegetables, black beans, etc. soups = also made in large quantities. I freeze extra of the soup and bean dishes in quart-sized mason jars. When a busy week comes up, we can go without any real cooking pretty easily.
    As for eggs, frittatas are super easy and good for multiple meals (also a good way to use up random cooked vegetables). I bake mine in a pie dish rather than following the fussy method in most recipes. With potatoes or leftover grains and a lot of veggies, one serving is about one egg and maybe a little cheese.
    For breakfast -- plain yogurt with frozen blueberries and flax meal - I prep in pint-sized mason jars for a few days at a time. This is my favorite no-cook meal. Also, any dinner leftovers are an easy breakfast. My family doesn't like leftover stir-fry, but I think it's quite good cold for breakfast.

I have lost 12 pounds. Part of my journey is nailing down all my eating problems some of which I know and others for which I am total denial (cuz then it would my fault right?)

1. I do NOT eat until I am hungry.
    2. Once I sense hunger, I decide what to eat and do eat within the hour to prevent becoming REALLY hungry. Think of hunger as a 1-10 scale. Eat before 8!
    3. I am currently doing Code Red-intensely keto not to exceed 25g carbs/day.
    4. Put my fork down after every bite to slow myself down.
    5. Listen to my satiety point. Am I really hungry? Do I need to finish my plate? Do I really need more food or do I just want it because it is so good?

Hubster found this recipe and asked me to make it for dinner last night. OMG it was sooooo good! I used ground beef/turkey mix and added diced bell peppers/mushroom. https://dot2trot.com/low-carb-bacon-...ger-casserole/

He asked for this for the coming week's work breakfasts: https://ketokarma.com/breakfastbake/ I cooked enough pepper/mushroom to toss some here too.

I'm not a believer in gluten-free for non celiacs so this will NOT be a lifestyle for us. My current plan is 1 "cheat meal" weekly moving forward. We love pasta and bread. We just need to not do it 7d/week!!!

I need to NOT stop at the bakery 2m from our home-they make killer huge chocolate chip cookies. Bad for both of us.

The other thing I notice is that it's easy to keep on going eating white flour/sugar foods even when homemade. We need to have a portion and stop-not pile them on.

I truly think our solutions come when we identify our food issues.

Yup, I'm using this platform as a counseling session. At least ya'll don't have my address to send me a bill

Edited to add: It is my intention to be wearing my goal size jeans (which I still own) by mid July!!!! That means another 51 pounds

Gardner, that was kind of what I had in mind for this thread.

51lbs in 5 months seems like an awful lot. Especially at the end - the percentage loss to body mass gets higher with each pound.

Rosemary, how were the swans? Did you enjoy your walk?

i got my pancakes. We went so late I will probably skip lunch. Maybe have a grapefruit or some carrots. Especially since dh plans for us to eat out tonight. I may also have a glass of wine.

51 pounds in 5 months sounds really difficult. I have at least that to lose and in a month and a half on this stupid noom thing have gained two pounds.

I like to hear what is working for people. I think I can motivate myself to do something as long as it is actually working for me.

Right now, I'm lost, don't know what is working.

Thread Information