Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life rhythm

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It seems like it is pounded into our heads from early on that our value comes from being productive, making money, having lots of social outings, travel etc. For about a year after I retired, DD bugged me with "but what are you doing with all your time" questions. There is a natural rhythm now that involves a class or volunteer work now and then, morning coffee, reading, walks, errands and always gardening when the weather allows. I always enjoyed being domestic (not popular to admit these days) so I spend some time each day planning meals, cooking and keeping a tidy, organized house now. And yet - darn, a certain guilt persists that I should be doing "more".
    It's too bad that domesticity should have a bad rep. More and more I find pleasure in being "gently" domestic. I think people who enjoy it are lucky. It provides such a great reward for the effort.

I have a neater and cleaner house now which I enjoy and I am cooking more. I don’t love cleaning but I rather spend the money on something else versus the cleaner. I also break it down by room so I don’t clean the entire house at once.

Our lives revolve around gardening season.

This year it really sunk in to me how restful and relaxing I find December January and February. I mean it’s always like that each year, and we usually do a house cleaning task, even though I haven’t done that this year. It’s just nice to take a rest from constant dirt and bugs and pet hair and stinky smells od summer. I like the cool dry air of winter.

So the rhythm of our lives is determined by what’s going on outdoors here in the Midwest where we have seasons.

I’ve always been somewhat annoyed by the big American holidays that often seem to interrupt my garden work or time of rest. Ya’ll know how I bitch and moan about Christmas holidays! Part of that is the universal frenzy of people during a time when it “should”be (according to my life rhythm,) slowly doing indoor stuff and contemplating what is next.

Any celebration of Easter or Mardi Gras or Mother’s day often interfered with garden time which was a precious commodity when I was working. Not so much now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    It's too bad that domesticity should have a bad rep. More and more I find pleasure in being "gently" domestic. I think people who enjoy it are lucky. It provides such a great reward for the effort.
    I agree. It is a rich spouse indeed who has someone in their home to keep it tidy and lovely. If that home worker enjoys the job, that is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I'm with you on this. I have always loved cooking but it was a chore when I worked long days, a chore I hated. Now going out to eat is rare-maybe 2-3x/month instead of 3/4 per week!

Keeping our homes clean doesn't take me long. I do enjoy a clean home.

I'm not missing work at all. I too have realized that being in charge of every day and doing what I want/when I want is awesome! Some days I'm a total slug. Other days, I'm doing stuff all day long.

Lovin' life!

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    When I retired last May, I wanted 6 months or so to decompress, and I did. I was thinking about some bigger projects for this year, but then my father was diagnosed with lung cancer, and life has revolved around his care, and that of my mother who has dementia. The days that I'm not on duty for care are slow and filled with only the essentials: long sleep, good meals, lots of fresh air and exercise. I see how much of what I previously filled my life with really just isn't that essential. Once my father passes, and my mother is placed in a longer term situation, my life can continue, but it will have a different perspective for sure.
    I'm sorry, Herbgeek. I sometimes think about how much different my retirement would feel if my mother hadn't been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but I try not to dwell on it and just move forward with the cards as they were dealt.

While I look forward to no longer having to work for income (i.e. retire in about 8 years), I am trying to do those things I *want* to do - now. I don't want to wait to try things. And that includes going back to things like gardening. Did it years ago and am actually planning to do some this year. Veggies. LOL. We'll see.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    While I look forward to no longer having to work for income (i.e. retire in about 8 years), I am trying to do those things I *want* to do - now. I don't want to wait to try things. And that includes going back to things like gardening. Did it years ago and am actually planning to do some this year. Veggies. LOL. We'll see.
    You are very wise. We live now so doing what is really important to you is doing it now at a scale that one can enjoy. I still approach life that way as I am retired. Each day is magic to be savoured by doing the tiniest little thing to big items.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I would discount anything a friend (?) said after they implied I would be a "vegetable" without a job. How insulting.

Rosa and Herb I was involved with caregiving for many years between my parents and some friends of ours. It’s tough.

Thread Information