Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We don’t use hand sanitizers but hot water and soap.
    Hubster and I each keep a small bottle in our vehicles and have for a long time. We use it now often. I was able to get a 1 liter bag from a winery to do our refills!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am now finding water with no limits, TP with limits, but no disinfectant spray or wipes. This is hard for my son with his severe OCD. Almost every day he goes to Walmart looking but they must all be snapped up during senior shopping hour, which everywhere is the first hour of the day. He cannot find them online either. I cannot wait for things to return to normal so the hoarding stops.
    If you have an empty Lysol wipe container, or perhaps a similar size container, put in a roll of paper towels (cut in half to reduce the length so it will fit). Add about a cup of what you want to use to sanitize with, i.e. diluted Lysol or rubbing alcohol with a bit of dish soap. After the paper towel soaks up the Lysol you can pull the cardboard roll out of the centre as it is wet and comes apart easily. Put the lid back on and start pulling the towels from the center just like Lysol wipes. The paper towels aren't quite as "tough" as the real thing but they work pretty good. My friend taught me this when I couldn't find wipes in the store.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Mix 1/3 Cup bleach in 1 gallon of water. Put in a stack of old washclothes. Tell him not to redip but put in laundry. Make a fresh bowl of it daily or every 2 days. Could make half of that if 1 gallon is too much.

Save a bloody fortune as well with an OCD human in the home.
    i love this idea. It is a great idea for all of us who are doing regular wipedowns. You could use an torn up rags too, if you don’t have a stack of old washcloths, or cut up an old towel. Of course some of us are able to zig zag or serge the edges, way less fraying. I hate buying anything that comes in a plastic container or bottle that is single use.

I believe with the splashless Clorox the ratio has to be higher of Clorox to water. I would google the exact recipe. Those containers don’t say kills 99% of germs or something.

Yppej
    I emailed him the suggestion but he is in a bad mood now. Hopefully he is more openminded later. Thank you folks.

I actually went to Aldi's two days ago - first time to that store in a couple months. I usually only shop there to buy the rolls of frozen ground turkey to cook in bulk. I figured they would have limits, but no! I was able to get my normal amount for my normal stock-up. Still can't seem to find tofu anywhere!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Time for the biweekly grocery run at our now-regular smaller independent supermarket.

The disinfectant wipes stand that was by the carts is gone now. The (new) hand sanitizer dispenser in its place was empty. The store itself still is quite empty; maybe a dozen shoppers at 10 a.m. on a weekday. Kinda made me wonder how/if they'll stay in business and then I got to the cleaning/paper goods aisle, which is largely empty except for air fresheners, laundry detergent, and furniture waxes/metal polishes and the like.

The deli counter is now dark; lunch meat, salads, and the like now are prepackaged in the deli coolers. The bulk bins are available but no one seems to be cleaning the handles that everyone must touch to serve themselves so ... I'm not sure how well that's going to work. Still lots of everything except for the weird stuff (large jugs of white vinegar, drink flavorings, frozen cauliflower -- what is up with that??). Beef was expensive (I thought) with chuck roasts going for $9 a pound. This store is on the kinda-expensive side for most things but it's got most of what I want and it's an easy in and out and that counts for more right now than some other things. I bought some Korean beef short ribs, which seemed like a bargain at "only" $6 a pound. I rarely buy them so they'll be a treat.

Most everyone was wearing masks, including the cashier I've seen a couple of times in previous visits who usually wears hers under her chin. It hasn't been typical for employees in that store to wear masks but they are wearing them now and somehow managing to get their work done. Short of an item or two, we're good for another couple of weeks.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My bi-weekly grocery run consisted of opening my front door and loading WF bags into my Versacart to roll into the kitchen to put away, doing a little wipe-down and washing my hands. (Have I mentioned how much I love my Versacart? One of my smartest purchases.)

We're trying to shop my lockdown pantry, which involves walking out to the garage and eyeing the weird assortment of things I thought essential during the panic-buying phase of the pandemic. Why so many dog treats and bottles of valerian?

I/we have developed a new habit of grocery shopping very early. Used to leave the house around 9:30a and get back by lunch. Now we are out the door at 7:00 a and back by 9a. Stores are cleaner, better stocked and not very crowded early in the morning. Not so fearful anymore so going out 1-2x a week with mask and distancing. Stopped "sanitizing" everything. Glad to see that most things are back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I/we have developed a new habit of grocery shopping very early. Used to leave the house around 9:30a and get back by lunch. Now we are out the door at 7:00 a and back by 9a. Stores are cleaner, better stocked and not very crowded early in the morning. Not so fearful anymore so going out 1-2x a week with mask and distancing. Stopped "sanitizing" everything. Glad to see that most things are back in stock.
    I am just the opposite. Now I am MORE fearful than before. Since it has started to open up, people seem to be less concerned and are not social distancing or wearing masks.

Thread Information