Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Selfish

They had strawberries on sale at the market here today for $1/container, super-duper-ripe, so I made a lovely strawberry/chocolate sundae for lunch, though I used yogurt instead of ice cream.

I try not to keep ice cream in stock at the house, because someone here just eats it if it is handy.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    They had strawberries on sale at the market here today for $1/container, super-duper-ripe, so I made a lovely strawberry/chocolate sundae for lunch, though I used yogurt instead of ice cream.
    YUM!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    People who don't care enough about their own health to get vaccinated should not prevent a return to normalcy for those of us who do. It should be go places and live life at your own risk.
    And at other’s people’s risk as well? Should not employers and public or private facilities be able to exclude people unwilling to take rudimentary precautions?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    And at other’s people’s risk as well? Should not employers and public or private facilities be able to exclude people unwilling to take rudimentary precautions?
    Yes, organizations should be able to ban the unvaccinated, barring other legal agreements such as union contracts that have already negotiated the issue. There are other public sector situations where I can see the unvaccinated let in. If someone commits a murder are you not going to take them to court because they aren't vaccinated? Or not put them in jail? No.

But really the unvaccinated are only putting at risk the other unvaccinated. So especially once vaccines are available for children, pregnant women, etc that should be less and less of a concern.

There are reasonable precautions and there are silly ones. I think your murderer example falls in the silly category.

As to the unvaccinated only presenting a threat to the unvaccinated, I think that would only be true if vaccines were 100% effective and everyone else with the good sense to be vaccinated were already able to do so.

As to the unvaccinated only presenting a threat to the unvaccinated, ...
    Well, there's the troublesome issue that the unvaccinated population provides a great breeding ground/hothouse for developing mutant variants that may prove to be able to evade the protection provided by the vaccine, so....

The unvaccinated also offer a safe harbor/reservoir for the virus to lurk, waiting for the protection provided by the vaccine to wear off, if it does....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, there's the troublesome issue that the unvaccinated population provides a great breeding ground/hothouse for developing mutant variants that may prove to be able to evade the protection provided by the vaccine, so....

The unvaccinated also offer a safe harbor/reservoir for the virus to lurk, waiting for the protection provided by the vaccine to wear off, if it does....
    You might say refusal to be vaccinated constitutes volunteering to be a sort of Petri dish.

You might say refusal to be vaccinated constitutes volunteering to be a sort of Petri dish.
    The problem is, once the stuff has brewed in that volunteer Petri dish, it may well be able to attack the rest of us, even if we have been vaccinated.

Well much of the world is likely to provide a petri dish regardless of whether everyone in the U.S. got vaccinated or not, it may be years until many places have the vaccine, maybe some animal populations could provide a petri dish too, but certainly the human population of the rest of the world.

But we're lucky in this country to have the vaccine rolling out, oh I think so, no matter how disastrous was the rest of the pandemic response. Meanwhile people with this access will pass it down while people in many parts of the world only wish they had it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Anthrax can lie dormant for 48 years. Covid could be the same but at some point life has to return to normal or we will all die prematurely from the stress of living in a constant state of fear and anxiety whipped up by the media and certain public health "experts" like Walensky who refuse to acknowledge data out of Israel and increasingly the US that once you're vaccinated if you don't get the virus (95% chance) you don't secretly get it and transmit it to people at the same time. Dr. Jha pretty much admitted the non-transmissibility this past weekend but said we are not 100% sure so the vaccinated must still wear masks. Well nothing in life is 100% sure. Go with the preponderance of the scientific evidence.

How this impacts me is next week I can sign up for the vaccine in my state but I am not going to because I will have a deductible for the administration fee. I will wait until I can get the vaccine free at work. If I could be freed of masks and other restrictions it would be worth it, but it is not. Since I am healthy, under 60, female and white I am not worried about covid and have zero incentive to pay for a vaccine if my life continues to be curtailed.

I now know quite a few people my age or older who have tested positive with mild to no symptoms. All the dire warnings by Walensky do not scare me because we are not seeing hospitals max out or anything. With the older sicker people vaccinated covid is now more like a flu.

Thread Information