Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packard coming back

Packard coming back

Well, this will make someone happy. Or not.probably that happiness thing is impossible.

Nearby city has a lovely Packard museum. What amazing cars - I love visiting them! They also have a DeLorean -John DeLorean was head of R&D at Packard before he jumped ship in the mid 50s, so there is a connection of sorts, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Nearby city has a lovely Packard museum. What amazing cars - I love visiting them! They also have a DeLorean -John DeLorean was head of R&D at Packard before he jumped ship in the mid 50s, so there is a connection of sorts, lol.
    Delorean was brought back a few years ago, you can buy a brand new one.

I would like a Duesy.

okay---,-,I didn't even know about this thread, until just now. Been spending a Lotta time catering to my kitties and looking after my huskies plus trying ta move my van project and my backyard cottage project forward, plus waging an undeclared war on encroaching vegetation. yup. So anyway, in my world there are three kinds of old packkerds(did I spell that right?): 51 to 54s, 55 and 56, then 57 and 58 studebaker-packkerds. Everything else before that is a museum piece that doesn't concern mee one bit.

okay----I was working on latest 58, last winter, and bought it some new and used parts, and had keys made for the ignition switch. a guy in st lo has a Lotta stuff I can use. also bought nice used gadgets lenses from a guy in Calgary, and shipping is a slow process. I will get that car running by this summer. to be continued. Hope that helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    okay---Packkard never was gone! where did you get that idea---tv? but yeah--- i repeat: packkerd never was gone. nope. what happened was/is that they paused production for awhile(65 years), to let existing packkards be driven until "the weelz fall off"(as you kids liketa say). That way, the company will have a banner sales year or two, when perduction resumes, all on account o' pent-up demand. See? hope that helps you kids some. thankk mee. yup.

okay----here's an old Packkerd, right here! (see photo)
    A 55-model. yup. pretty nice, eh? 2024-05-19 (6).jpg

okay----nobody 'cept me is posting anything much about POackards, lately. so yeah--i'm gonna take the initiative & keep youy kids updated on one a my old Packareds, which is a 58 studebaker-packard. but anyway--- i've had 'er since labor day of last year, and have made SOME progress, but not nearly enough. this week, i bought an ignition switch bezel from an outfit in Az. this is the part that caused the previous owner to replace the whole switch with a generic tractor switch, which is largely the same part, but uses a threaded bezel to hold it in the dash. but no--we don't want that. so then, i found the original switch & bezel in the trunk & the spring & plastic spacer that is part of the assembly, as well. the bezel was broken(common prollem) and the key was broken-off in the lock.(common prollem). well, even though (as you kids know) i am a DIY-er, i took the switch plus one o' the door locks to a locksmith shop in several separate trips, to have keys made. but yeash---about $100. and guess what? i still lack a trunk lock, unless it turns up in the car. anya you kids got a 58 packkard trunk lock w/keys you wanna get rid of? okay---nxt, i needta go ta the wreckin' yard & get a 12v battery, and a battery cable, for this one. i needta take the gas tank off, and check it and flush it out. hope its okay, 'cause new ones are $450 plus shipping. yup. plus, i'm considering rebuilding the carburetor to clean it out. i pulled the plugs, and dosed the cylinders with penetrant. motor turns by hand. it appears they've replaced the sparkin' plugs, not many miles ago. so that's good. when i pull the tank, i'll also pull the back bumper, too. got another one to put on. to be continued.....

okay----talked to a studebaker-packard collector-dealer about some parts for my studebaker-packard, and he's gonna DRIVE(just get out and DRIVE) from Houston Tx to Dubuque, Iwah, in a week or two, and i axed him ta bring me a couple specific items & he said he'd accomodate me. see---there's a major stu-do-baker meet there, that week. yup. but, the more i think about it, the less i want to drive ALL THE WAY UP TA -DaBuke, iwah. so yeah---i'm gonna see if i can meetup partway, enroute. be worth it, even if i hafta sit-n-wait for an hour at some predetermined location, justa save a buncha miles & $$$. then, i can get back home to my catts & huskees & projects. yup. you know what summa those people in the auto hobby do? well, they buy a car that's already done, wax it and maintain it, and just drive-n-eat! when a meet location/date is announced, first thing they want to know is the names of "good" restaurants! ha.

Thread Information